Grill block bad for battery - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Grill block bad for battery

I've just find out that blocking upper grill is bad for battery. Upper grill block cuts airflow to upper part (where battery is located), thus it causes increase temperature. This may shorten battery life. I've read that the best battery temperature is around 80*F. I'm thinking to make some kind of insulator between battery and engine. What material should I use?

holypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Registered Member

Insulation alone might be a bad idea, since at times the battery itself is a source of heat.

In a vehicle with the intake relocated, it might be an idea to duct air from the former intake opening around the battery. Thinking mostly of vehicles where the battery is on the drivers side and the intake pulls from somewhere in the drivers side fender.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Supporting Member

So far my OEM delco has held up to my abuse. I'm running a grill block, hood sealing, belly pan. It gets toasty in there.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I would use something like the reflective insulation, with an air gap to alow battery cooling.
what is going to kill a battery fastest is uneven tempetures, like siting on a cold concreat floor, or having a battery sitting with one side in a window,but these are examples of storage, but according to an enigener that I spoke to batteries like to be the same temp all he way thru, hot or cold.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Insulation alone might be a bad idea, since at times the battery itself is a source of heat.

In a vehicle with the intake relocated, it might be an idea to duct air from the former intake opening around the battery. Thinking mostly of vehicles where the battery is on the drivers side and the intake pulls from somewhere in the drivers side fender.
Seconded. Get a piece of flex hose and run it from where you're letting air into the engine compartment and aim it at the battery.
boxchain is offline   Reply With Quote