Old 02-26-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

Highway Glider

Anybody seen/used this?

http://www.highwayglider.com/default.asp

Old 02-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Registered Member

Heh.

Or you could take your plate off, then screw the bottom two holes in the plate to the top two mounting holes, angle it back a touch, now it's keeping some out of the grille and pushing it over the hood.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Registered Member

I've never heard of this, before. It looks like it's sort of a tapered snow plow shape. If it has the effect it describes, it seems like it would really make sense to do a grill block across the whole front of the car. I think the web sites statement about it making you a safer driver and protecting your vehicle and passengers is a pretty big stretch.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
^^^ the truth shall set you free!

In MN, anything covering the entire license plate is illegal, even if it is see through plastic.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

sort of a good idea form a aerodynamic point of view but illegal here.

it did remind me of the only car i know that has a covered licence plate.
the 1970's citroen SM

this thing had more thought put into it's aerodynamics than most of todays cars!
wich suddenly made me think of this

that's 37 years in between... but...

sorry off topic... back to that plastic wedge.

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
I've never seen this,but had thought about using the plate holder as a mount for something larger. Front plates are not required here. I think it would help a little,but very little. Not bad if you are reluctant to do anything that causes people to point and laugh.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:03 AM   #7
Registered Member

I liked http:/www.HighwayGlider.com

I don't think anybody can argue that it does not save gas on the highway.

The questions is how much...all based on the shape/size/engine and how fast you are driving.

My limited knowledge says, aerodynamicness and the speed are the only factors that reduces the mpg logarithmically. Everything else is arithmetic reduction, ie. road friction, rpm, congestion, etc.

These guys do have a point. Yes it would not make sense when gasoline was $0.50 but what if when it is $4.00 or $5.00.

Most of the claims does make sense, especially in the west where we drive all the time on the highway.

Increasing the mpg is not that easy; but the return on investment can be very high.... ie. pays for itself every month. Wow!!!
sy27295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:09 AM   #8
Registered Member

one more thing about legality

Covering the license plate is not illegal; anywhere - simply because every state has millions of cars without a license plate.

There is not a toll booth camera that relies on front licenses, simply because thousands of cars from South Carolina will be on the roads in Oregon any day with "I Love My Jesus" license plate.

The only thing is that in some states, the inspection manual does say the numbers cannot be covered. It is a matter of buraucracy. You can take your license plate off 2 minutes after you get the inspection and nobody cares.

The point is: Saving a Polar bear is not that easy. Saving 4-5 gallons per year without doing anything is not that bad of a deal.
sy27295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sy27295 View Post
Covering the license plate is not illegal; anywhere - simply because every state has millions of cars without a license plate.

There is not a toll booth camera that relies on front licenses, simply because thousands of cars from South Carolina will be on the roads in Oregon any day with "I Love My Jesus" license plate.

The only thing is that in some states, the inspection manual does say the numbers cannot be covered. It is a matter of buraucracy. You can take your license plate off 2 minutes after you get the inspection and nobody cares.

The point is: Saving a Polar bear is not that easy. Saving 4-5 gallons per year without doing anything is not that bad of a deal.

It is illeagle in wisconsin as well to both not have a front lisence plate and to have it covered with anything, however the last time I read the state statutes on vehilce lisencing in wiscinson (fun to read!) it basicly says if you visit my state your license plates are still valid and your drivers license is still valid, as long as your state honers my license as valid, and that extends to differnces in the law as well, like minum driving age, and number of lisence plates on a vehicle.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy27295 View Post
Covering the license plate is not illegal; anywhere - simply because every state has millions of cars without a license plate..
Please don't make blanket statements like this unless you are certain and can back it up with the applicable statutes.

From the Oregon Revised Statutes:
803.550 Illegal alteration or display of plates; prohibited; described; exceptions; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of illegal alteration or display of a registration plate if the person knowingly does any of the following:
(a) Illegally alters a registration plate in a manner described in subsection (2) of this section.
(b) Operates any vehicle that is displaying a registration plate that is illegally altered in a manner described in subsection (2) of this section.
(c) Owns and causes or permits a vehicle to display a registration plate that is illegally altered in a manner described in subsection (2) of this section.
(2) A registration plate is illegally altered for purposes of this section if the plate has been altered, modified, covered or obscured including, but not limited to the following:
(a) Any change of the color, configuration, numbers, letters or material of the plate.
(b) Any material or covering, other than a frame or plate holder, placed on, over or in front of the plate that alters the appearance of the plate.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote