Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2007, 11:34 PM   #11
Supporting Member

trebuchet03 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
If you get the soft squishy type, it should compress to form fit without increasing the gap...

Someone in another thread mentioned using expandable spray foam... Put plastic wrap (spray with some cooking oil so the plastic releases) where you don't want it to stick spray the foam on and close the hood - let it cure and lift the hood... Seems like it should work
I just did this for my car last week. I used this stuff, $4 a bag at a standard-issue hardware store :

Attachment 1046

My gap was so large that I actually double-stacked the tape in some places. But at $4, who cares?

I can't tell if it helps, but I do think it has been hotter under the hood based on the number of times I have been manually turning on the electric fan.

What I *really* need to do is go hog-wild with the squishy tape. There are lots of little gaps that could be filled. For example, I have tape on the top of the headlights, but I also need it all around the headlights.

CarloSW2
Attached Images

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #12
Supporting Member

theclencher -

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
so many variations tween cars...

latch on tempo/topaz not adjustable- has locating pins. limited to shuffling hood around on hinges and adjusting heights of rubber bumpers. good system tho, it works.

i'yve noticed on ALL front engine vehicles i'yve ever had... no rubber sealing strip along sides of hood, but oftentimes something at the rear by the cowl and/or at the front by the radiator. BUT ALL rear engine vehicles have had totally weatherstripped engine lids. for sure to keep the dust out.

but it shows mfgs do know what a weatherstrip is and for the cheap cost they must have a reason not to put it on front hoods. i don't know why but like anyone i can guess.

ok one guess is they'd rather vent out the heatsoak for xtra hot conditions than keep heat in otherwise, or for whatever aero there might be
Here's a question. If have squishy-taped my hood gaps, and it looks like my car is getting hot under the hood, can't I just pop the hood? At low speeds I can't imagine it flying up in front of my face. And they all seem to be safety-latched so that I could drive at freeway speeds without worrying about the hood flying up.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
I vote no on popping the hood while driving. Once upon a time I unknowingly did that with my '87 Omni. I'd meant to change my oil so I had popped the hood, but had to run to the parts store for something, so I just hopped in the gar and took off, forgetting about the hood. After a few minutes of driving on a bumpy (gravel) road the hood came flying up into the windshield. Believe me, that's a heart attack that you want to avoid.

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnmeyer View Post
I vote no on popping the hood while driving. Once upon a time I unknowingly did that with my '87 Omni. I'd meant to change my oil so I had popped the hood, but had to run to the parts store for something, so I just hopped in the gar and took off, forgetting about the hood. After a few minutes of driving on a bumpy (gravel) road the hood came flying up into the windshield. Believe me, that's a heart attack that you want to avoid.
Not to poke fun, but the image of an Omni going down a gravel road with the hood suddenly popping-up, a la "Tommy Boy" style, is rather funny.

Probably wasn't at the time

But yes, I agree. The first pop of the hood engages the secondary "emergency" latch, so the driver has time to pull over and rectify the situation.

RH77
Old 11-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
ok one guess is they'd rather vent out the heatsoak for xtra hot conditions than keep heat in otherwise, or for whatever aero there might be
Just like those super sized radiators My last car had a rubber/plastic seal strip around the leading edge of the hood....

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote