Hubcaps? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #41

I've read in several other threads (this one too) about the hubcaps flying off. Well, it has been 2 weeks I've had my caps on and I've still got them - knock on wood . I live on a dirt road way out in the country that has some serious washboard and they haven't even wanted to partially come loose. Overall, I've very happy. Can't say if it made a difference for mileage but it sets it apart from all the other Metros.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:09 PM   #42
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner
I've read in several other threads (this one too) about the hubcaps flying off. Well, it has been 2 weeks I've had my caps on and I've still got them - knock on wood . I live on a dirt road way out in the country that has some serious washboard and they haven't even wanted to partially come loose. Overall, I've very happy. Can't say if it made a difference for mileage but it sets it apart from all the other Metros.
At the very least, I'm sure it makes your car easier to find in the parking lot

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:56 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
At the very least, I'm sure it makes your car easier to find in the parking lot
Yeah its the little blue car with people touching it, pointing at it, and other similar activities.
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #44

I made mine out of the 14 inch stainless stell hubcaps from cripe distributing and the 12 inch trim rings. Took about 2 hours to cut and fit them together. I only had one made when the sun started going down so I put it on the car and got this shot of it. I will get more pics tomorrow with all 4 on it if the weather is clear. It looks real good for hubcaps that cost me about $50.
CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #45
Registered Member

I made mine from 14" pizza pans from Wal-mart, painted white to match the color of my car and mounted with 3 screws and lock-washers (drilled and tapped holes into the wheel), so there is no chance of them departing the vehicle on a bumpy road. They cost me all of $12 for the set of 4.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #46
Registered Member

This is about two years old. Its a 15" disc on a 16" rim with a trim ring. In order for me to get 16"discs I need to get the ones that attach with dzus fasteners.

I used to have them on my 1977 Dodge Monaco Police Car. If I can find any pics I'll scan them in and post. They would be about 16 years old.
AltWheels.org-2004 People's Choice Environmentally Friendly Renewable Fuel Vehicle / AltWheels 2005 pics#1 #2 / Altwheels 2006 pics#1

I don't do drugs but my truck does.....
Stage III Methanol Injector
Headshot Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:02 PM   #47
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Now that I see them, those mudgaurds got to be a huge source of drag... Any need for them?
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:26 PM   #48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
I'm thinking that something is flexing and making the squeeking noise - says something about plastic hubcaps doesn't it. Plastic dip would be a good idea as well as cleaning the rims. Anyone notice any FE improvement with the caps and have photos of them on the car? Would like to try a 15" set on my not so aero 7 spoke mag caps on my xB that surely must be pumping air around like crazy.
Ever consider a thin bead of RTV before popping them in? Let 'em sit a while before driving ; they pry off (don't use too much!) when necessary ... flats, rotate, etc. My '86 Vette looked so cool with aero wheels! No squeeks, either.
Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #49

Thanks Coyote X for the Cripe 14" discs. I bought two sets for my motorhome I just picked up a few weeks ago (only need one set but they were too cheap to pass up). Should look good as it's a GasSaver type motorhome - it's a Toyota.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:21 AM   #50
kps
Registered Member

So, I now have a set of the Cripes disks. The next problem is to attach them to alloy wheels without damaging the wheels -- which I'm sure I can figure out -- and with reasonable access to the valves -- which so far has me stumped. Any ideas?

kps is offline   Reply With Quote