I need molding - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

I need molding

I want to clean up the rear end of my car. Aerodynamically, that is. It's got a nice start on a boat tail, but everything is rounded off. I want to add a small lip to get clean air-flow separation. I'm looking for a small wedge-shaped cross section. Maybe 3/4" x 1/4", or a bit larger. Rubber, silicon, or soft plastic would be fine. Has anyone seen a product I could use for this?

I've looked at all the molding, seals and weather stripping at the hardware store and Home Depot. Weather stripping usually has a square cross section, and the other seals usually wrap *around* something. There's got to be some application out there that uses a long rubber wedge for a seal. Thanks in advance.

s2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
This may sound weird but I have used some soft foam material and coated it with Silicone sealer for my GPS on my dash board which preserves the foam from breaking down with sunlight and air plus keeps it slip resistant so my GPS doesn't go sliding all over the dash when I am cornering hard. I suppose you could do the same for the outside molding allowing the silicone sealer to seal against a saran wrap covered piece of cardboard so that it cures smooth and to the shape you want. You can even use sticky back foam to make it stick to the car and then silicone seal it to make it water proof. You can also wet it with water and let it freeze then grind it into shape if it is cold enough where you live.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Supporting Member

JanGeo -

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
This may sound weird but I have used some soft foam material and coated it with Silicone sealer for my GPS on my dash board which preserves the foam from breaking down with sunlight and air plus keeps it slip resistant so my GPS doesn't go sliding all over the dash when I am cornering hard. I suppose you could do the same for the outside molding allowing the silicone sealer to seal against a saran wrap covered piece of cardboard so that it cures smooth and to the shape you want. You can even use sticky back foam to make it stick to the car and then silicone seal it to make it water proof. You can also wet it with water and let it freeze then grind it into shape if it is cold enough where you live.
That's a good idea. I have this issue with a home-made side-view mirror cover triangle right now. I'm trying to use sticky-back weather stripping but I can't make a perfect water seal.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
You can also wet it with water and let it freeze then grind it into shape if it is cold enough where you live.
Wow. There's an idea; grinding frozen foam. And the weather stripping is self adhesive. That's a plus. Thanks

I resumed my internet search, and finally got some results searching for "extruded seal". Here's the best I've found so far:

I figure I could cut the legs off, resulting in two wedges. Seals are available in many materials. EPDM seams to be weather resistant and inexpensive. The search continues...

s2man is offline   Reply With Quote