Insight wheel air dams - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #1
kps
Registered Member

Insight wheel air dams

Can anyone point me to pictures that show clearly the shape of the front wheel strakes on the Honda Insight? Google found me nothing better than pictures of the whole front end.

kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

There's a profile view at http://insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/enaero.html

Hope that helps.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
kps
Registered Member

Thanks; I've seen that, and it gives some idea of the side profile, but not of the front or bottom.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

items # 6 & 7 on this diagram from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

not sure if that helps at all.... assuming there's no local Insights to crawl under, maybe you can order a pair and rig 'em up to your ride
Old 11-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #5
kps
Registered Member

Thanks, that adds a bit of information.

A few days ago I had a view of one at a stop light, and it looked like they were primarily directing air under the car; in part I was wondering whether that is actually the case, or just seemed to be because of my angle.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:02 AM   #6
Supporting Member

kps -

I looked where lindermant said :

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...tcgry5=BUMPERS

I think that item 6/7 in the honda parts picture above are called "Strakes". Those are $40 from Honda and $30 from the website. Pretty steep. I have been looking at dust pans as possible shapes for wheel air dams :

In the picture above, you would cut off the handle, which is "aiming" into the tire. The flat underpart of the dust pan would be the flat plane that pushes the air down.

But I haven't found the "perfect shape" of dustpan, if you know what I mean. Also, some other plastic product other than a dust pan should make a better shape, but I can't think of it.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:47 PM   #7
Supporting Member

theclencher -

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
How about a bleach jug or ice cream pail? Nice cylindrical shape if cut right...
Hmmm, yes. I have had a one track mind that told me I needed a flat slope :

But the Honda Insight has a curve to it's wheel spoilers, so the jug/pail (paint bucket?) probably makes more sense.

This is one of the things I like to do. I like to search everywhere for a ready-made shape that can be adapted to the task at hand.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:34 AM   #8
Registered Member

I don't think the Insight's curve is the optimal aerodynamic shape. I think it's curved as a compromise to permit more ground clearance under the front of the car.

Check out some of the super-low Cd concepts that deflect air around the tires and you'll see either the usual blunt/hemispherical shape ahead of the wheel or a progressive taper, not the Insight's curve.

The totally flat tire spoilers appearing on more and more cars today also factor cost in to the compromise. (Flat is cheapest to design/make/replace.)
Old 11-20-2006, 04:59 AM   #9
Registered Member

yes , i dont think the shape is too critical.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:20 AM   #10
Registered Member

From what I have read, placement, size & shape of front wheel deflectors is reasonably important.

Properly designed front wheel deflectors can reduce Cd by about 0.01, according to SAE paper 2004-01-1307 (based on the specific vehicle tested - unnamed in the reference I saw):

Quote:
However, [...] while these deflectors can reduce drag, if they are too large, drag can actually be increased. Further, in nearly all cases, the flat deflectors cause an increase in front lift.
They went on to show the results (with effect on lift & drag) of 4 or 5 variations, with changes in size, distance from the wheel, and width. Each had varying effects. Too large, too wide & too far forward actually increased both drag and lift.

I think a 3d shape would reduce the lift & forward placement problems right off the bat.

You'll note on most cars with the plastic slats ahead of the tires, they rarely extend out as far as the outside of the tread. This is to avoid deflecting airflow sideways excessively (increasing drag).