Kardboard Kammback II - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
Registered Member

Paul, I think rain > cardboard. What about that clear vinyl that I use for making screen protectors? Just make some sort of a frame for it. It'll solve a few problems with the current setup. 1) Much closer to the teardrop shape 2) allows for decent visibility 3) won't melt when wet.

The vinyl is less than $2 per running yard.

If you don't want tape residue, you can rub some gulf wax on the area you're attaching the tape to before you install it. It should stick to the wax. Works for bumper stickers.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByNothing View Post
Paul, I think rain > cardboard. What about that clear vinyl that I use for making screen protectors?
Ya... It did rain today And lost some of it's shape

I'm going to be doing the vinyl thing... But I want to find a shape first. And I decided to do this impulsively... I put my tape gun on top of a bunch of virgin cardboard - and said, "ya, taping these to my car... Ya, that's a good idea"

Fastening is still an issue - unfortunately... But I'm running out of time, so that's a nice little incentive to develop something... And I think I have -- I just need to test first to make sure it's viable

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:03 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Well.... I think something is wrong with my SG.... It told me 18.1mpg - but when I refueled... I got 35.5 (see gaslog).

I'm back home now.. and need to fill up again... But the SG said 13.x mpg and it said I used 8.8gallons of fuel.... Well, my gas gauge isn't even at 3/4 and my fuel tank is a little less than 15 gal (I think). That, and I went MUCH slower on the way home (constant throttle the whole way). Oh -- and I modified it, I'll have pictures later

From my short time in city... I'm getting really low readings too when the kammback wouldn't be doing anything anyway.... Something goofy is going on, and I'm not quite sure what it is :/
Might want to check your setup setting on the SG. Sometimes they default back to te original settings for no apparent reason.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:37 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
Might want to check your setup setting on the SG. Sometimes they default back to te original settings for no apparent reason.
Yeah... I actually just did reset to default and then reset my engine size to what it should be... And the numbers went right up to what seems reasonable considering what the fill ups have said.... Kinda goofy, wish I thought of doing that earlier Maybe some crap data got stuck in there and it had to be reset out Seems to be all better now

11/12
Old 05-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #15
Registered Member

'Taurii' haha.

Paul, I'll see what I can come up with as far as fastening this thing to your car.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:43 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
"Ron DeLong suggested that it is a low voltage but I think it is something more than that. Mine gets messed up after I shut the engine down and before it goes off. If I hit the lower right button and maybe the one just above it accidently it will sometimes go bonkers. I have gotten very careful about how I hit buttons after I have shut the engine off.

It seems like it might be right when it is shutting off and I hit a button to keep it alive that it will go bonkers.

usedgeo.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgeo View Post
"Ron DeLong suggested that it is a low voltage but I think it is something more than that. Mine gets messed up after I shut the engine down and before it goes off. If I hit the lower right button and maybe the one just above it accidently it will sometimes go bonkers. I have gotten very careful about how I hit buttons after I have shut the engine off.

It seems like it might be right when it is shutting off and I hit a button to keep it alive that it will go bonkers.

usedgeo.
I'm really pissed at the moment... That's happened to me once before and I couldn't figure out why/how... and it happened again just now... Except... It's totally fubar. The top L and R buttons don't work -- only the bottom of the screen works..... Resetting didn't help... grrr... I really hope I can send it back for a new one because I'll be buying another one for my father as a father's day gift (he's really interested in this thing).... It's almost like some of the programming got corrupted because it doesn't auto power off either :/

11/12
Old 05-06-2007, 05:34 PM   #18
Registered Member

Joining late...

Love the impromptu cardboard & tape session. Been there
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:57 AM   #19
Registered Member

make sure to pay some attention to the sides too. they should also curve inward as the 2 sides of the car persent a bigger surface than the roof. a lot of cars with a low Cd usually have rear sidewindows that curce inward. might be the reason why wagon types have a worse Cd than their hatchback and sedan ounterparts.
the air should be guided inward as soon as possible.

like this for example: volvo 3cc

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:03 PM   #20
Registered Member

^^ It's hard to tell from that picture... but for th most part it does a little bit... Especially more after I took that picture -- but nowhere near to that extent

11/12