Less dorky airo modifications - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #11
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
I highly doubt that ram implosion wing really works as advertised...
Aw come on, they've only been at it for 40 years or so. It'll catch on any minute now.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:57 AM   #12
Registered Member

Looks great but Im wondering it the depression in the bumper cover causes drag. The Del Sol had the grille block spaced out from the grille so that no air would be trapped in the grille depression.

I just checked if the Del Sol grille block would fit the VX. Nope, I will have to trim about 3" off each side and make two smaller ones for the side grilles. It's funny looking into the engine compartment and seeing lots of empty space where the AC would have been. I notice that there is a factory installed grill block on the inside. Just a plastic panel that blocks the airflow where the AC radiator thingy would be.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:21 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I bought one of the pieces of plastic that blocks off the back side of the grill where the A/C would be (after I removed the a/c) and it seemed to work ok, but I figured that having the ribs of the grill still right out in front could be improved on, and you are right, if I made the whole thing flush it would be an even smoother air flow, but as it is, it's all inset maybe half an inche, and it's all smooth rounded corners for air to flow around, so I figure it's acceptable, and if it comes looose, then I'll make it flush, as it is the plastic sheating is resting right on the grill, and glued or zip tied right to it.

I kind of figure that function over rules style, if you can do something in a tastful way that is astecticly pleasing, or at the very least dosn't draw negative attention, then why not put the extra effert in to it? the plastic I got is the kind of thing you should be able to find in the scrap bin at a sign shop for little or no cost, chose a color that works with your car, get some matching, or clear calk, and some zip ties, and befor you know it you will have to point out your cool new grill block, or your friends might just not notice, at least that has been the case with my friends so far.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:04 AM   #14
Registered Member

Ryland,
A question about your two smaller openings on the side. Before you blocked them, were they open fully? Mine come mostly blocked from the factory with only a small opening, about 2" square. Basically, they are non functional vents, just for aesthetics.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:32 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
krousdb: you are correct, they seem to be purely decrotive, I have a new bumper cover, and the new one came exactly as the old one, with what look like two small grills under each headlight, with tiny little vent holes that seem to go no where, altho on the back side they do seem to have knockouts, so you could cut them out, and use them as vents, but I can't figure out why you would need them.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #16
Registered Member

I think those two small side vents are connected to provide cooling air for the front disc brakes in high performance models of the Civic.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:05 PM   #17
*shrug*

Nah, they ain't, but I've seen people do that.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:21 AM   #18
Supporting Member

Ryland -

I think this is the right question to ask. It's the same reason people in the past wouldn't put "ugly" solar panels on their roofs. In the best of all worlds, the modification would also look "cool". If it looked cool, it would turn heads, and then manufacturers would sell them and we could just bolt them on. Two for one!!!!

Your blackout look is very stylin.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:26 AM   #19
Registered Member

Yeah, but "cool" and "ugly" are subjective. See wind turbines.

Unfortunately, the mfgrs will never do it. It's up to us to be style leaders and change peoples' perceptions.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:33 AM   #20
Registered Member

I really think aero mods should be hidden. I don't need extra attention to my car. Plus it surprises people when you show them. They think those things should be there.

I wish i had more time to work on my car. I would make unbelievable aero mods.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote