Lincoln Aerodynamics (BAD) - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
Registered Member

I have to admit, I have wondered why you're driving the limo. Not that there's anything wrong with trying to do better with what you've got.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
Supporting Member

Hello -

How about clear plexiglass to create an aero-shape? :

Not practical, obviously (no wipers for that giant front window and good luck opening the trunk!), but it would be neet to know what the CD change is. The boat tail would be supported by a monster spoiler.

Are there any cheapo-aero modeling programs out there?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #13
Registered Member

My apologies if I find this amusing

I remember way back when, reading in one of those car rags, some kid had a giant boat of a car with a big old motor in it (might have been a lincoln). According to the article, he took EVERYTHING (no more body or dash, etc) except the powertrain and gasstank and wheels off and bolted down a lawnchair or somesuch behind the wheel, put on some goggles, and did 11 second 1/4 miles.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:53 AM   #14
Tuggin at the surly bonds

huh, huh? Huh?...
Old 02-11-2007, 04:23 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Hello -

How about clear plexiglass to create an aero-shape? :

Don't forget the rear taper (after the roof) ... 10 to 12 degrees.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:33 AM   #16
Registered Member

Kinda off topic but something else you could do thats not Aero but helps a bunch is get a block heater. I know on the 3.0 l with the rpm I was turn it took forever to get the engine warm. It had a dramatic affect on the FE.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:02 AM   #17
Registered Member

You certainly can put more underbody covering on the car. Check this link:
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sho...ight=belly+pan

He had pics at one point but my computer dopes not seem to be loading them now? If they don't come up for anybody else, I have copies that I dl'd to my hard drive.

The thing is, only the very rear of the driveshaft moves. The front of course remains stationary. If you really want to leave the driveshaft exposed, find some driveshaft loops (drag race safety equipment and good insurance in case you ever lose a front u-joint) and use those as mounts for a smooth panel on either side of the driveshaft.

I'm not sure if the Lincoln uses a 4-link rear or leaf springs (I'm not a Ford guy) but either way you could probably do some aero around the rear axle using a sheet of flexible plastic. I'm working on this for my LeBaron (FWD, but a solid rear axle) and I think if it was attached to the suspension controll arms and the axle it would work fine. The plastic would be able to flex with the movement of the suspension and hopefully wouldn't make the kind of sounds you get from flexing a large sheet of metal.

For the rear of the car, looks like you could benefit from vortex generators or a lip spoiler. If you can, grab the March issue of "Hot Rod" and read the wind tunnel article they have. Talks a bit about lip spoliers and how they can be used to reduce drag. Basically tricks the air into thinking you have a boattail.

See if you can find more aero mirrors. I'm sure yours look alot like the ones on my '70 Caddy - very square and brick-like...

Consider an extractor vent on the hood like Ford used on the GT-40 (try google images if you are not familiar with it). It can help redirect what air does need to come into the engine bay back out and avoid it going under the car, plus it can help 'fill in' the low pressure/detached air flow area you likely have above the front of the nose.

GasSavers_BluEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #18
Supporting Member

MetroMPG -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Don't forget the rear taper (after the roof) ... 10 to 12 degrees.
Whoops, I always forget that. Here is a revised version with about 10 degree taper, wheel covers, and front wheel air deflectors (or whatever they're called) :

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post

Also with all the intense crosswinds we have here I wonder if the Basjoos-style total-windshield-over-the-hood thing would actually decrease aero by virtue of the phenomenal increase in "frontal" area in the yawed condition.
Not real serious here, but I wonder if 4 wheel steering could be set up to keep the nose pointed into the wind but still keep the wheels going straight down the road?
Old 02-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #20
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
I've thought about that too- it could be workable but can you imagine going down the road and negotiating corners like that? Most people couldn't handle I'M SURE OF THAT!!! As proof I offer the diagonal parking in snow-covered parking lots- idiots don't know where to pull up to so the "lines" of cars get waaay crooked.
On the other hand, if the rear wheels turned as much as the front, there'd be no advantage to backing into a parallel space. You could just pull in nose first the way most people do it any way.