MB GL400 vs. GL400 Coupe - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

MB GL400 vs. GL400 Coupe

MB have released their new 2016 GL class SUV in traditional wagon and 4-door Coupe versions.

What I found interesting was the two different rooflines. So I looked up the fuel consumption figures for both models in the GL400 class (twin turbo V6 gasoline engine with auto and AWD).

So MB has quoted the 'slippery' Coupe as only 0.1lt per 100km better on the combined cycle. I know the difference would be noticed more at highway speeds, but I couldn't find a highway only figure for the upcoming Coupe version.

Would have thought the better aero shape of the Coupe might have yielded a bigger difference even in the combined cycle??

Still, at 8.8lt (Wagon) vs. 8.7lt (Coupe) per 100km its hardly a thirsty SUV. Albeit, claimed manufacturers figures ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03-Mercedes-Benz-GLE-class-Facelift-660x602.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	1892   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-GLE-Coupe-Mercedes-Benz-660x602-EN.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	1893  

boof777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
Registered Member

No doubt those tests took place on a rolling road in a laboratory, sadly they can only estimate and calculate other factors like weather/wind resistance etc in such conditions. No doubt in real life, a more aerodynamic shape will have a bigger impact on fuel efficiency, having said that, the vehicle in question is a large SUV, it's high up so it's aero drag is higher than a normal car.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
Registered Member

I'm just glad they are actually looking at SUVs these days with regards to more efficient aero.

I've noticed a lot of new SUV type vehicles with a small partial kammback type 'spoilers' on the roof.

I don't see many of these MBs leaving the pavement though ;-)

Unfortunately I'm stuck with the old gen box lol. Still, its worth keeping and trying to improve it. Maintaining its off road abilities is the tricky part for me.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:24 AM   #4
Registered Member

Yeah, the specifics of the official test will affect if their is any official difference. Most of those tests likely don't reach a speed high enough for such minor aero differences to be seen. That coupe also needs a belly pan and grill shutters to get a better improvement over the SUV.

Does Australia have their own test protocols, or do they basically just use someone elses(Japan, US, or EU) test methods or results?
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
Registered Member

Not sure what Australia do exactly. We do have our own ANCAP testing for new cars but not sure if we test them locally for fuel consumption etc etc apart from journalist reviews.

BMW have a really nice grill block setup in their cars. Shutters open and close depending on the engine and/or underbonnet temp. I will look at this setup on my rolling cinder block as well.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

A lot of manufactures are now focusing on aerodynamics and weight stripping. Up until now, all the development has been in engine technology, but manufacturers are beginning to realise that the lab tests they do for fuel consumption, aerodrag etc can only be estimated, and having a nice fuel efficient engine can be ruined by sloppy aerodynamics or unnecessary weight! We can learn so much from the Motorsport industry

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

Active shutters are starting to show up on many cars. I think the Focus and Cruze fuel efficiency trims had it 5 years ago or so.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote