Motorcycle License Plate on front of car? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
Supporting Member

Motorcycle License Plate on front of car?

Hello -

It's the law in California to have a license plate on the front of the car. But, why not make a motorcycle license plate with the same number and attach it to the front instead? You could still have the regular license plate "on the dashboard" like the ricers do.

Wouldn't that be *technically* in compliance?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
It would be fraud with the threat of jail time for intentionally using the wrong license plate, if you are lucky they might just give you a large fine, but otherwise sounds like a good idea, having your plate in your front window would simply be a ticket for not having a front license plate as it must be mounted to the front of the vehicle, not inside the vehicle.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

If everyone did this half of the inmates would be out of a job overnight.

Show some compassion, man.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
having your plate in your front window would simply be a ticket for not having a front license plate as it must be mounted to the front of the vehicle, not inside the vehicle.
Bingo. I got a ticket for this when I lived in CA. Luckily he made it a fix-it ticket.
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

Why not just use the plate as a partial grill block ?

Nerds laugh at me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #6
Registered Member

you can bend them slightly to match the curve of the bumper. but most states it has to be clearly displayed on the front most part of the car. (meaning you couldnt sheemetal screw it to the middle of your hood)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
1. car plates are a given size. if it isn't that size, it isn't there. why don't you print out the license # on some computer paper and laminate it :-p
2. location. as mentioned, it has to be somewhere on the front end of the car, basically somewhere on the bumper. as for being in the window being 'rice' I strongly disagree. 90% of the reasons I've seen it there was accident damage or mental incompetence of the driver. (couldn't figure out what the 2 screws in the bumper were for)
3. why would you want to in the first place? got a ricey bumper with a huce scoop to feed the nonexistent intercooler and no place left for it?
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
Supporting Member

kamesama980 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
1. car plates are a given size. if it isn't that size, it isn't there. why don't you print out the license # on some computer paper and laminate it :-p
2. location. as mentioned, it has to be somewhere on the front end of the car, basically somewhere on the bumper. as for being in the window being 'rice' I strongly disagree. 90% of the reasons I've seen it there was accident damage or mental incompetence of the driver. (couldn't figure out what the 2 screws in the bumper were for)
3. why would you want to in the first place? got a ricey bumper with a huce scoop to feed the nonexistent intercooler and no place left for it?
A while back figured out that I can do the following :

Aero front license plate
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Hello -

I have a master plan for this that I haven't implemented. At Home Depot, I found some house address stickers that have the same size/color/background reflectance as my California license plate. I intend to remove the plate and put it in the dashboard like all the rice-rocketeers, and put the address numbers/letters on the bumper. The letters on the bumper will have a "long rectangular" European look.

This way I will be complying with the spirit of the law (a license number that is easy to read day or night on the *bumper* of the car).

But, I chickened out because I was worried about getting a ticket.

I asked about the motorcycle plate because a motorcycle is another "motor driven vehicle" on the streets. Legally, I think this would be a loophole.

The safer non-ticket thing to do is to try a combo of VetteOwner's and NerdsLAM solutions.

NerdsLAM, is that your Civic? Very clean nose! Is the ECU/PCM AlienWare controlled, ?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
Registered Member

It might be worth looking into, as the other day a newer BMW shot by running the long yellow European plates, I have no idea how that can possibly be legal, or why he would go to jail over something useless, or if there is some license plate loophole.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
kamesama980 -

NerdsLAM, is that your Civic? Very clean nose! Is the ECU/PCM AlienWare controlled, ?

CarloSW2
Very clean nose ? Yes ... I tried to pick some of its buggers.

I honestly do not know why that you have a problem with your plate.
As long as it is not protruding ito the airflow, it should have no effect at all on your mileage.

" Is the ECU/PCM AlienWare controlled, " Oh I get it now - you're talking about the alien on my hood. I have one on my third brake light too.
That's Gollum crawling over the back seat.

Nerds laugh at me is offline   Reply With Quote