My Homemade Aero Bumper - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-24-2009, 07:33 AM   #51
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontegirl View Post
I like the look as well. The vent to one side is very distinctive.

Is the vent to one side for a functional reason or is that purely styling?
Thanks.
The vent is where the radiator sits on the 92-95 Civics so it is purely function over form there.

I personally dislike asymmetrical styling on cars, but since I know it serves a specific function I let it go, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontegirl View Post
Another thing that I wonder if using Good Stuff is safe on a car since it is flamable? *yikes!*
Open flame can set the great stuff on fire, but after it has cured for 24hours it takes direct contact with flame for about a minute to catch fire. The Great Stuff in the bumper is covered with Bondo and Fiberglass Jelly and the backside is enclosed and my car doesn't shoot out any flames, so It'll be ok

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:22 AM   #52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
I used Great Stuff expanding foam to lay down a backing for the fiberglass jelly to cling to. Then the final step was to shape and smooth the jelly and then skim coat with Bondo. And then paint.

Next bumper I'm making will use plastic welding though. It will be faster than the methods I used on this bumper.
Do you have any shots of the fabrication? That looks absolutely fantastic. You really got my attention with this one, any links on how-to do the Great Stuff/jelly process?

"If you want to save gas I suggest you permanently remove the drivers seat and steering wheel. That seems to help." -Oscar Halverson

oneinchsidehop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:21 AM   #53
Registered Member

oneinchsidehop,

I actually started a thread similar to this one where I show how I did mine (youtube vid). I will admit that mine didn't come out as good as TomO's did but I like the results. we talked about it extensively in this thread above. he was a good resource and pretty much talked me through the process (good to have internet friends).

also, if it helps, I don't do body work. this was only my second attempt (counting the failed attempt to do this the first time).

remember that all cars are different so don't go closing off anything permanently unless you know your car is fine with it.

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=11764

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:38 AM   #54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
oneinchsidehop,

I actually started a thread similar to this one where I show how I did mine (youtube vid). I will admit that mine didn't come out as good as TomO's did but I like the results. we talked about it extensively in this thread above. he was a good resource and pretty much talked me through the process (good to have internet friends).

also, if it helps, I don't do body work. this was only my second attempt (counting the failed attempt to do this the first time).

remember that all cars are different so don't go closing off anything permanently unless you know your car is fine with it.

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=11764

Bookmarked!!! That was excellent, exactly what I was hoping for. And it looks GREAT.

Thou dost rawk.

"If you want to save gas I suggest you permanently remove the drivers seat and steering wheel. That seems to help." -Oscar Halverson

oneinchsidehop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 AM   #55
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Thanks for fielding that one BEEF!

Good luck and glad that we could be ome inspiration for your project oneinchsidehop!

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:25 AM   #56
Registered Member

remember that film quality hides a lot of flaws.

I think that you said it best (TomO) "we are our own worst critic"

also remember, the more time you spend on it, the better it will turn out.

I ended up purchasing a bumper from the local pull-a-part (junk yard) so that I could spend more time on it.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:28 AM   #57
Registered Member

Wow i like the whole front. Great fab work! Is the only openning there enough to keep your radiator cool, especially during summer. I'm from WI so i though i'd check. I've got a 99 front bumper, so that process could infact help me alot.
204snic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #58
Registered Member

I assume you are directing that towards TomO.

I would suggest using plexi-glass or coroplast to cover your grill just to see how much you can get away with before you make it too permanent. I had my grill covered for more than a year before I did mine.

as stated above, all cars are different so you have to find out what works for you and also the average temps vary from area to area. in wisconsin you should be able to get away with more than people from other areas (more southern ones) because average temps should be lower.

I would say to experiment first and go from there.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:00 AM   #59
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204snic View Post
Wow i like the whole front. Great fab work! Is the only openning there enough to keep your radiator cool, especially during summer. I'm from WI so i though i'd check. I've got a 99 front bumper, so that process could infact help me alot.
Go with What BEEF said and experiment with the opening first.

I had mine blocked for nearly two years before actually making that bumper so I knew what size opening I could use. It is big enough to keep the engine within normal operating temps on a 90?F day going 65mph on the highway for 4 hours, even with 45 minutes of stop and go traffic too.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #60
Registered Member

Thanks BEEF*. Plexiglass? Are there plexiglass that is strong enough, and bendable to be shaped for the openning? Where would be the best place to find something like that? Sorry, 1 more question for you (BEEF*). How do you cut the plexiglass (rotory saw? saw zaw?). Thanks

204snic is offline   Reply With Quote