My Homemade Aero Bumper - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-23-2009, 06:14 AM   #41
Registered Member

fixed my bumper. it is just back to it's former glory. a guy at work told me that I can get a fiberglass fix-it kit from NAPA for about $30 and that might be a good way to go. I haven't priced it yet but it may be an idea for the future.

right now, I am going to leave it as the last attempt went wrong. at least it was fixable.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #42
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I tried to redo my front bumper this evening by just cleaning it up and reapplying the caulk but at a different angle. it looks mighty horrible. I am going to have to give it more attention tomorrow.
One trick for making caulking look good: Ice Cubes!

1) Tape off the area that you don't want caulk on
2) Apply caulk
3) Smooth caulking out with Ice Cube (use the round side for a valley or the flat side for a flat finish
4) Remove tape and excess caulk before it skins

Once you've done this a few times you get better and better at it and you'll use less and less caulk.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #43
Registered Member

I had a few things going against me.

-it was raining so humidity was through the roof
-I was impatient and lazy
-I put it on really thick in places (some were over 1/4" thick)
-I painted over it well before it cured
-I drove it the next day in the rain (with all of it's squishy goodness)

I really do need to stop thinking of caulk as body filler. I guess my problem is that I have never really done any body work (not real body work) and I am using what I know.

I might play around with fiberglass but I don't know. my car is worth around $700 and the question was asked to my several times already "Why do I care?"

Old 09-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #44
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
my car is worth around $700 and the question was asked to my several times already "Why do I care?"
You care because it's a challenge to see how much gas you can save, that's why! And it's fun to modify your cars and learn things at the same time.

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #45
Registered Member

I guess the question is the function and form issue. the function is there, just not the form (in a sense)

I was blessed with the 2.2 liter with a combined mileage of 25 which means that stupid good mileage will never be mine (not in number anyway, maybe percent) I also have the automatic which means I am that much more limited. I don't even consider a trans swap as that is not really my thing.

I talked with a user (phleas) that has a similar car to mine but gets almost 66mpg. he is in the top 10 for gas cars (2003 cavalier) I talked with him about what he had done and what he would recommend for my next move. he told me of his wife's car which was also a cavalier and was an automatic. he told me that the best he had ever done in that car was 37. that being said, it was unmodified and was all driving technique. I have seen 40 though it wasn't consistent.

I now drive more with longevity in mind. High-G turns are still there but not as high. rolling stop lights (apart from being illegal) have stopped for me as well. I still run speed limit or lower depending on people around me. I just had the funny feeling that if I continued to do certain things, I was going to get popped (an accident I mean). even if it was the other guys fault, his insurance would write me a $500 check or something in the area. that wouldn't buy me another car and mine has shown itself to be very reliable.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #46
Registered Member

Ok, I can't leave well enough alone....cause I don't think it's well enough, lol.

I found someone selling conveyor belt rubber on eBay HERE and I will be purchasing a 4" wide 1/8" thick roll to make a rubber version of the FiberEdge Lip for use during winter. Unfortunately it's a 50' long roll. I guess I'll have to make a few lips for some of my friends
I believe the duromter rating on the material is sufficient to flex well and still be able to retain its shape...can anyone confirm this that knows more about durometer ratings?

The brackets will be recycled from the FiberEdge Lip but cut down so there is only one bolt holding on the rubber per bracket. This will allow the Lip to still hang down nice and low, but will also allow the rubber to move out of the way when it hits something.

I can't wait until payday now, lol.

I've always wanted/was inspired by Rubber Racing Lip.com but cost was prohibitive (about $150 IIRC)

UPDATE:
So after some internet searching the Durometer rating of 60-65 for this product is similar to a rubber tire which should be perfect. PDF info here

I'm thinking with 50' of this stuff that I could draw up templates for the brackets and send off the instructions along with a long enough (6.5' for 2dr and 3dr civics from 92-95) chuck of rubber to make your own lip if you wanted.

I made the FiberEdge lip using a hacksaw, drill, 1/4" drill bit, 1/4" machine head screws and 1/4" nuts, and a vice and rubber mallet (for bending the brackets) and aluminum 1/8" thick 1" wide by 2' long flat stock bought from Home Depot.

The initial cost for the flat stock, bolts, and FiberEdge was $40, but that was for 16' of Fiberedge (enough to make two full lips) the Fiberedge was the expensive part, costing $33.

I'd like to know who else would be interested in getting the instructions and some rubber from me. PM would be best.

Quote:
Old 09-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #47
Registered Member

I like the look as well. The vent to one side is very distinctive.

Is the vent to one side for a functional reason or is that purely styling?

Another thing that I wonder if using Good Stuff is safe on a car since it is flamable? *yikes!*
Brontegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:22 AM   #48
Registered Member

I think that it is only flamable straight out of the can. maybe it emmits a gas as it expands.

I think once it hardens, it's fine.

I may be wrong

Old 09-24-2009, 03:47 AM   #49
Registered Member

Quote:
I think that it is only flamable straight out of the can. maybe it emmits a gas as it expands.

I think once it hardens, it's fine.

I may be wrong
It is more flamable right out of the can but still quite flamable once dried. I recently finished caulking and weatherstripping my home. I read up on materials and the pros and cons of each. The expanding foam is not recommended for sealing gaps because it is extremely flamable in comparision to other materials (such as caulk). My local fire department warns residents not to use this product to seal gaps in the home and especially not near any gas or electric appliances or wiring because it can catch fire quickly. I'm thinking that near a gasoline engine, there could be an increased risk of fire.
Brontegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:57 AM   #50
Registered Member

wow, that really does suck

(rethinking the great stuff modifications)