My new air dam - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2009, 05:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

My new air dam

Well, I've decided to start an air dam project. I have a warm air intake that actuall works great for me. the only down side is that highway speeds, I have too much air that flows into the compartment. So, in goes an air dam.

\

just started yesterday. I will add more today.

2001 Chevy S10 2.2 5 spd man
85,000 Miles
28-34 MPG with HHO
GasSavers_Ven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
Registered Member

What does that say in the fine print?

Old 05-08-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

also what does the bracing look like? So far so good.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
Registered Member

Sorry about that. The left side say the hole will be ducted air to battery and that side of the engine compartment.

Right side says the air box an exhaust manifold is on that side.

I have a piece of metal strapping that i bent to get that angle. I'll be installing more for more support. This held up pretty well so far at 65 mph for about 30 miles

85,000 Miles
28-34 MPG with HHO
Old 05-08-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalb1 View Post
also what does the bracing look like? So far so good.
i'll get a pic to show. I should have taken one but I was pretty pressed for time.

85,000 Miles
28-34 MPG with HHO
Old 05-08-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Shouldn't it be more vertical?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:43 AM   #7
Registered Member

Should it??? I'm really not sure. I'd figure I'd angle it so it is not a flat wall but enough guide the airflow pass the engine compartment.

85,000 Miles
28-34 MPG with HHO
Old 05-08-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I think the point is to force the air up and over instead of letting it go underneath. If you want to keep air out of the engine compartment you would just block the grille.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #9
Registered Member

another thing you could do is build a heat shield so that the air coming in the engine compartment has less of an affect.

I call it an anti-heat shield. mine is so-so, made out of roof flasing

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
Registered Member

Here's some more pics. It's not done yet but I just want to show my progress. I agree that the air should be pushed over, but dont think I would be able to make it low enough to be effective (plus, it would be ugly as hell). I'll try taking some more pics showing how all the air that moves under my truck is caught by the engine compartment. I already do have a grill block and that has not helped me as much as I thought. City driving it is okay, however, highway speeds cause my WAI to drop below 90*F. It's very obvious with a higher bumper that the engine compartment catches a lot of that air.

Now, when I just had on that center piece yesterday, my IAT read probably about 90*F from city driving. On a day of about 70*F, it would usually read about 110-115. I have a feeling the air that was displaced pushed it directly into the engine compartment.

Today, I added another piece (there will be 3 total if you can tell from my crappy drawing earlier in this post). I wanted to add the piece on the driver side first because that is where my exhaust manifold and air intake are. Lo and behold, I reached and maintained 100-105*F IAT temp at highway speeds! (Not to mention it was cooler than yesterday)

Like I said before, i just want to guide the air under and pass my compartment. A belly pan or shield would be much hard do to my steering linkages. Plus, I can still change my oil without taking crap apart. I felt like this was a nice and easy option for me. Plus, I get to work on a gravel driveway. So, here are some more pics.

These first two shots are just show how I am supporting the shield with strapping from menards. (about 4.00)

This one is where I put the next sheet. It's not tightened down yet.

This is where I had to figure out how to brace the outer edge of the sheet. I found a cut hole (probably for a crumple zone?) and used two bolts with brackets on top and bottom. This is just hanging with one bolt

Now it's tightened down with both bolts.

And here you can see how I supported the outer edge with primitive bends with the strapping. It works

And this first bracket here is comming down from that other bracket you just saw. Plenty solid and plenty wheel turning clearance. I'll do more tomarrow.

85,000 Miles
28-34 MPG with HHO