My T-100 aero cap... - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to BamZipPow
Yes...some drivers are gonna snap their necks one day trying to git an eye-full.

My trip out to Tampa and back fer the past two years have yielded some nice numbers. This last trip (added rear wheel skirts and rear strakes) was 2mpg better than the first trip fer the same time period...even with extra stops from my 2 extra passengers. Gas mileage was 23.5mpg fer the first trip and 25.5mpg fer this last trip. I guess it would've been better without the extra bathroom breaks but unhappy passengers don't make up fer the extra savings from gas mileage. Even with the increased fuel costs this year...I actually spent about $30 less than the first trip! If savings were based on EPA estimated numbers...I saved about $91 on the 2000+ mile trip.

There were a few drivers that had to slow down to snap some piccies...but that's how it goes. I wonder where the piccies are being posted...

Not sure how soon it will be before I transition to another material...thinking sheet metal or fiberglass. With either one, I don't have the experience or skill sets to work with those materials...yet. I really like my access doors on the front of my aero cap as it does allow my cab cover to deploy with ease. Not sure if I want to keep it manual or go with an automated process. It would be pretty cool to cycle the doors when I'm stopped at a light fer some attention.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #22
Registered Member

Current side view...

Old 09-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #23
Registered Member

Picked up a single wheel trailer to use as my platform fer a boat tail...fer $100! Still had to add lights, new rim/tire, safety chains, new deck and fasteners, tags and registration, and anti-rattle devices...so my investment is just under $300.

The rear wheel swivels similar to a shopping cart wheel. I should be able to close up the gap fairly easily between the truck bed and the boat tail trailer.

I'm gonna keep the cargo body on there fer now until I git some numbers. I will probably transition to extra body panels to smooth the transitions from the truck to the boat tail fer awhile and then eventually remove the cargo body to go with a custom setup.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #24
Registered Member

Wink

In the process of rebuilding the aero cap. The new hatch will be about 75% lighter!

New aluminum rails to replace the wood ones on the hatch...

Added an inner liner of Tyvek CommercialWrap...

Used ½" Foamular to cover the frame and Tyvek CommercialWrap to skin the Foamular. I will be able to add more layers and shape it more aerodynamic as I git more time.

Adjustable hatch lights working!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #25
Registered Member

Christmas wrapped the hatch panel with Tyvek.

Stuffed some scrap Foamular between the inner liner and the hatch panel so I could match the profile of the cab. Used some washers with my pan screws so they would have more holding power on the hatch panel. It will also make it easier to remove when the time comes.

Piccies!

Sandwich...

Close transition from the cab to aero cap...

No pink on this trip!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #26
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 91CavGT
I just realized that you are in College Station! I have a cabin outside of Bryan and have a lot of family in the B/CS area. I'm surprised none of my family has seen you, or they would have said something to me about it. I have been wanting to do a similar aero cap for my F150.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #27
Registered Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
I just realized that you are in College Station! I have a cabin outside of Bryan and have a lot of family in the B/CS area. I'm surprised none of my family has seen you, or they would have said something to me about it. I have been wanting to do a similar aero cap for my F150.
I'm sure they will eventually see my truck and aero setup. If you git back out this way, drop me a PM and we can meet up. As a matter of fact, I'm headed through Dallas probably late tonight.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #28
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 91CavGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamZipPow View Post
I'm sure they will eventually see my truck and aero setup. If you git back out this way, drop me a PM and we can meet up. As a matter of fact, I'm headed through Dallas probably late tonight.

That would be cool, but I am in Waco today getting ready to head out to the San Antonio area early in the morning!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #29
Registered Member

Wink

Here's a close up of my seal which I made from the inner liner extra by folding it into pleats.

I also replaced the front hatch pivot bolts with a pair of hitch pins. No tools needed to remove the hatch now.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Where you used those washers for better holding power, you might consider (in future projects) using plates used under membrane roofing to hold down insulation. It's almost the same application. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, all larger than those washers. A friendly roofer (who works on flat roofs, not pitched) or a roofing supply company might be able to provide you with a handful for free.