-Air Raid cone filter, direct to TB
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
-Now featuring front wheel canards!
kitcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Supporting Member

i see that are into the enviroment does your house have any special things on it that make it batter for the enviroment. my house is a berm home if you know what that is and we have it set up for solar but we need to get the panels.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

At the main house which is a condo in a hoity-toity neighborhood that they decided in the their wisdom to paint dark brown so the inside is oh, 150 degrees in the summer with the A/C cranking and being especially wise, there is one, count them one window facing south, sadly the answer is a qualified "no" other than using all CF, a super smart thermostat that people drool over and as many energy wise appliances as we can afford.

One thing tho. Recently the hot water heater took a crapper. I asked about tankless; requires a larger gas line into the house, our supply line is too small for one so they'd have to dig from the street and replace the meter also (honest to God, that's what we got from the gas company and the installer). So we opted for a White energy efficient model with lights flashing on the control panel that has some kind of computer control in it (probably a 16 bit) that senses the times we use the most hot water and readies the tank for us and turns itself down during the day.

Well, we got the first DTE bill. $40.00 less, -52% less gas usage from last year, -21% from last month. Apparently it is indeed energy efficient.

Now, directly behind the condo are several hundred acres of wetlands that the association owns and protects. Our deck juts into the forest/wetlands - the first part of the first video was shot on the deck. We've got a herd of deer, turkeys, woodchucks, several types of squirrels, chipmunks, one very large cat that we don't say anything about, several million tree frogs (that keep coming in the house in the late fall so we keep them inside and release them in the spring), 4 varieties of hummingbirds (3, count them 3 hummingbird feeders on our deck to keep up with the things), several owls and a hawk (red-tail).

The cabin, which "This Old Shack" is based on has a very tiny carbon footprint. It's entirely off the grid, solar powered, most of the appliances are 12 volt. Even my boat is solar powered. The generator I use to equalize the battery bank has a cat on it, carries an EPA certification (that I'm suspect about but that's another story) and I have the exhaust carried into a small water tank that gets black as coal after 50 hours or so. Because everyone up in northern Michigan has been sinking wells since the 1950s sucking the land dry (including the oil companies up there that use water to extract the oil from the shale deposits) the original well that was 20 feet deep is dry as a bone. The few neighbors that we have are down to 250 feet to get water. So I carry my water with me and use one of those fancy carbon/carbon filters for the gray water and a dry composting toilet. Later this summer I'm going to spend an entire episode on building your own solar panels (100 watts for about $100), which people ask a lot of questions about at the site.

So the simple answer to the question is "as much as I can" to be environmentally friendly within the confines of my life.

Proud owner of Stinkerbutt!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
Old 05-20-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

I watched the videos. They were well made, but it was a hefty download.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:48 AM   #5
Registered Member

I'll see if I can embed them; that'll help.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
Old 05-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
Supporting Member

kitcar -

Stunning video! Loved the background music.

Don't worry about the download size, just tell people up front.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:20 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks. I guess I'm kind of jaded in the download size department - I don't consider it big until you get over a couple hundred megs.

The music I use on "This Old Shack" (see all the episodes here) is from Dmusic.com, download music for free.

These two shorts are going to be used in the next full episode which oddly enough, is going to be about gas mileage.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
Old 05-30-2007, 10:27 AM   #8
Registered Member

Show some pics of your front air dam please?
I saw a very quick shot in the aero mods video but it was way toooo quick.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thunderstorms tonight. I'll get pics/video in this thread ASAP. Basically what I did was head to Lowes and got some deck edging. This is a thick vinyl, 6 inches with a 2 inch lip for mounting. I used the 2 inch lip for mounting onto the front bumper facia with self tapping screws. I use 1x2 firring strips for support. It bends easily; you could use my torch method for more radical bending. It flexes if I hit a curb or an object but not break. The center part of the air dam has been on the truck for over a year with no damage other than paint chips from whatever (squirrels, rocks, small children, tiny cars, etc..). I had a lip below that that I removed last year in August when we were going to a lot of Tigers games because of speed bumps in parking lots and banging it all the time on them. Got on my nerves what with the world series run and all. I did the sides to the front wheels this year with the leftover materials from that project.

I'll get some specific video for you. I've been requested to do a series of videos on Youtube for Associated Content about this stuff so I've got to do it anyway. First one will be my mods as a modified music video. See my first video as an example but tighter. And get this; house siding and pine boards for better mileage. I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

"Well, this hare is a pine board. Y'all strap it to a hunk of vinyl siding and bolt it to your Explorer. Then y'all ain't gonna step on y'alls raight pedal as much. That thar is haypermiling. Y'all have a nice day now, y'hear?" Pretty soon you'll see big 'ol 4x4 F150s with house siding and 2x4s hang off of them.

I crack myself up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
Old 06-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #10
Registered Member

Video #3:

The Webernator video. Testing has started on this mod.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover