oil sump cooling - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-10-2008, 05:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

oil sump cooling

i'm building an undertray from this anluminum sheet, but in it's curent configuration it covers half of the oil sump and touches the curve of the exhaust. aerodynamically that's great , but these thigns both get hot, so i'm wondering if

A: is haveing the undertray touching the exhoust a problem or should a make a cutout, and what clearence whould be needed
B: would i need to restore cooling of the oil sump wich an air intake in the undertray? how big would this intake need to be and what would be the best solution (naca intake, small scoop?)

the undertray curves down from the bumper so i could still have direct ram air on the sump if needed

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
DRW
Registered Member

I don't believe the sump does much cooling. It might not be a bad thing to have slightly warmer oil anyway. I think you'll be OK as long as underhood air is moving out of the engine bay.

I'd leave at least 1/2" of clearance around the sump and exhaust simply because the motor will move on it's rubber mounts during normal use. I can say from personal experience that it's extremely annoying to constantly hear motor and exhaust parts banging and scraping against a metal undertray.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
Registered Member

Aside the annoyance, it will probably rub/bang a hole through the exhaust in a few months.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
Registered Member

the exhaust need clearance
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:18 AM   #5
Registered Member

thanks for pointing out the engine movement, it's pretty obvious but i hadn't thought of it!

i'll see if it's worth makeing holes for these components or if id just make the tray a litte shorter.

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:20 AM   #6
Registered Member

Unless your car has an oil cooler, the sump is the oils major source of cooling. I would recommend looking into an axillary oil cooler, preferably with an inline thermostat so the oil doesn't stay thick in winter.

GasSavers_BluEyes is offline   Reply With Quote