Opinions on VGs - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

View Poll Results: What tent stake should I use for VGs
Plastic - simpler to make and install, no worries 4 80.00%
Metal - more flexibility in VG length, rusting worry down the road, cheaper 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

Opinions on VGs

As expected, my experimental vortex generators didn't survive the winter. So, I'm going to try out replacing them with ones made from tent stakes. While looking for black plastic ones, I found some long steel stakes. I might be able to get three VGs out of one stake, which will mean saving a little cash. Plus, I can buy them individually, and am not limited to getting 4 packs.

Painting is required with both types. The only plastic stakes I found were bright yellow. The metal ones will need it to prevent rusting. So, between the two, which would you use?

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Plastic. It's easier to work with (mostly), and if they come off they will do less damage to anyone behind you. You would need to use adhesion promoter to make paint stick, unless you get paint made specifically for plastic.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #3

I like simple
Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

How would you install them?

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
Registered Member

I used aluminum flashing and stuck them down with silicone caulking. Been on since last summer and they're not going anywhere. If you can, let the car sit for a day or two just to make sure they're really on. There was a bit of wiggle for a few days so just make sure they haven't moved. You can cut the flashing with a decent pair of scissors and clean up the sharp corners with sandpaper or a file.

I chose the second design (black on a blue roof). Half an hour with a sharpie, a protractor, scissors and something straight to fold it against. Paint them and sick 'em on.

[URL="http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=1482"]

BTW this is the mod that brought me here.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Registered Member

I was leaning towards the plastic without considering the possiblity of them coming out while driving. The metal stakes I found are a heavier gauge than flashing.
My old VGs were delta wings cut from the wood paint stirrer sticks. Attached them with double sided tape. Except for the cheap spray paint starting flake off, they held up fairly well. I didn't start losing them until I had to pull out the snow broom. If given a wider base, they might still be on there.
I should check out the aluminum flashing. I didn't because I thought it comes in rolls or sheets and would have to be folded into the L shape. Those plastic/metal strips used to protect wall corners are another consideration.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Registered Member

I'd be sort of nervous of the steel unless it were attached pretty solidly.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 03-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
Registered Member

Did a quick search and there are some pretty inexpensive vortex generators out there for sale. Not sure how good they are, but it's a thought.

co de pen den cy

Old 03-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
IMO, VGs are pretty well into the "Never pay anyone for them" category; you should DIY or skip it.

trollbait, you are familiar with some of the other threads where people have posted their DIY VGs? The one that comes to mind is from someone who made them from CDs.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
Registered Member

Some are less than $20. Of course they might suck.

co de pen den cy