Quick release smooth bottom panel - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Quick release smooth bottom panel

In another thread I mentioned the desire for a quick release system for panels that give a smooth bottom to a car. Figured it deserved its own specific thread so other people could chime in. I think that if brackets were used under the vehicle and coroplast's flexibility were exploited, the only fastners to be removed could be at the edges. I'd want wing nuts so tools wouldn't be required and also something that wouldn't corrode. The obvious answer is weld nuts under the panel, with plastic wing bolts holding things on. Unfortunately, my industrial supply place, which usually has everything along these lines doesn't carry them, which is a bad sign. Maybe weld nuts with plastic threaded rod glue into them and then plastic wing nuts on that? I can get those parts, but it's more work. I know there are threaded rivets, but heard the installation tool is a bit pricey.Could also consider stainless steel. Any ideas?

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO

DZUS fasteners, only need a coin in your pocket to remove them.

And depending on the car...like my 94 VX, I can tuck the Corroplast up in between the side skirt and the chassis making only fasteners in the center necessary.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

Awesome. Are they easy to find? I'm hoping to avoid center fastners as crawling under the car is a PITA in winter.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 04-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Why would you need to remove panels without crawling under? I'd assume that if you need to remove panels, you're already crawling under to get to whatever you want that's behind the panel.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Registered Member

Oh, good question. If I have a warranty claim I plan to remove all the mods I may have so they don't hassle me. That's all.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
Registered Member

If you're looking to weld nuts on, why not use normal ones? It ain't pretty, but if you make sure to have a (metal) bolt in it while you weld it, and you make it quick and low heat, it won't warp. I suppose it would be easiest with mig welding, however. I would imagine that it would be tricky with a stick welder. If that's the case, you might try 1/16 rods.
-Becoming the Archetype
thecheese429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
Registered Member

I have done that trick before and it works quite well. It's how I attached the tie down loop in my trunk, so the nut was concealed in the end. Not pretty is right.

co de pen den cy