Old 07-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #21
Registered Member

Nerds laugh at me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #22
Registered Member

Nerds laugh at me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #23
Registered Member

My guess is yes. As long as the bottom hole is open in front of the radiator the fan can pull air and cool the engine. You will just want to pay attention to how much the fan comes on. If you don't want to do more I would totally block the grill and leave the black thing off. If you think the fan is running too much then add lip back on as much as you need. It will be your call on how much the fan runs. My fan comes on right at 220 F and stays on for about a 10 degree drop. 220 F on my gauge is just a half a needle width to the right of 1/2 gauge. 240 is very near the 3/4 gauge. If you are running AC you will probably need a lot more air. You may want another opinion though as I already said a bit above in this same thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdieTurbo View Post
I'd like to see how this turns out, on my SL1, I took off the "black thing" and still have my grille open, no effect on temperature. Since I don't have a scangauge I have no idea of the effect on MPG. I too wonder if I do a grille block will I cut off all air to the radiator? Any ideas fellow Saturn guys? Can you block off the grille and remove the black thing without any ill effects?
Old 07-20-2007, 07:13 AM   #24
Registered Member

Question for CO ZX2

Folks, we've been discussing the cooling aspects of which openings to block, but not the aerodynamics. I think this is a question for CO ZX2...

CO ZX2,
On a stock car, what does your wind tunnel say is better aerodynamically: blocking a hole(s) in the grill or blocking the hole between the bumper and the bottom of the radiator?

My guess: Block the grill and MOST of the under-bumper area, leaving just enough opening to cool the engine. <shrug> Just a guess of course. I'm very interested, because I'm at the same stage on my car's frontend - I've blocked the big hole in the bumper, and now I have to decide which hole to block next.

s2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2man View Post
Folks, we've been discussing the cooling aspects of which openings to block, but not the aerodynamics. I think this is a question for CO ZX2...

CO ZX2,
On a stock car, what does your wind tunnel say is better aerodynamically: blocking a hole(s) in the grill or blocking the hole between the bumper and the bottom of the radiator?

My guess: Block the grill and MOST of the under-bumper area, leaving just enough opening to cool the engine. <shrug> Just a guess of course. I'm very interested, because I'm at the same stage on my car's frontend - I've blocked the big hole in the bumper, and now I have to decide which hole to block next.
Well, I didn't have too much deciding on Old Reliable as the only grille opening is below the front license plate. I have that completely blocked. There is a couple small openings at the parking lamps that I leave open, maybe 2 sq. in. each. I would recommend blocking everything you can, till you find out differently. If you do need an opening, someplace in the lower half of your radiator and fan would be most efficient.

I believe it very important to get the blocks sealed as well as possible, otherwise even small leaks around the edges prevent getting the most there is to be had of the mod. CO ZX2
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #26
Registered Member

I've always theought the sw's were nice looking cars.

I think that something along these lines http://www.cardata.com/spoilers/imag...chback_top.jpg only smoother without the funny side shape would most likely help

Jeff
Old 08-04-2007, 08:32 PM   #27
Supporting Member

vt420 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt420 View Post
I've always theought the sw's were nice looking cars.
Yes, the shame was that they discontinued it right before "sport wagons" started getting popular (Matrix/Vibe, PT Cruiser, Subaru Outback).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt420 View Post
I think that something along these lines http://www.cardata.com/spoilers/imag...chback_top.jpg only smoother without the funny side shape would most likely help

Jeff
Whenever I see those spoilers I get jealous (no after-market for Saturn wagon spoilers). I with they published "spoiler attachment geometry" so I could find the closest one that would fit.

I asked saturnfans.com the same question last year and all I got were crickets.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79560

My inspiration was the Honda Civic integrated spoiler :

Attachment 807

Attachment 808

Here is an idea I had for making it work :

1 - Go to a pick-a-part and buy an SW hatch (if I can find one!).

2 - Remove the top panel and use it as the new spoiler.

The virtue would be that it would "just fit" over the existing top/hatch panel. Here is what I was thinking :

Attachment 809

Attachment 810

It doesn't look like much, but it could be the "frame" for a good home made spoiler/extender.

CarloSW2
Attached Images

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:23 AM   #28
Registered Member

it's a good idea, however i'm wondering how effective the original piece would be...it seems rather rounded while most spoilers have a straight edge...like the Civic. if it's doing a good job already extending it might not be very effective and if it's not doing a good job, you might as well replace it with something better. easier said than done of course. but perhaps there's not much more effort involved in locating and grafting on a "real" spoiler or fabricating your own. it would be like making a very small kammback.

of course trying something is better than doing nothing so if there's not better options i'd go for it

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:52 PM   #29
Registered Member

I could see blocking the grill in the winter, but isn't there a reason cars are designed to have air flow to the engine? lol. And if your radiator goes on, doesn't it take up energy?

I rather not risk ruining my engine for an extra 1/2 mpg.
GasSavers_veloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:20 AM   #30
Registered Member

you just have to pay attention to your temperature guage, which you do anyway right?