seeking aero advice - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #11

OK now that we have established my exhaust is too big how about some aero help....
I am looking at the area directly behind the bumper it is open to the ground so the air intended for the radiator is free to go wherever it pleases. I think I'll close the open space under the nose and then block some of the lower grille

Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:31 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip1 View Post
OK now that we have established my exhaust is too big how about some aero help....
I am looking at the area directly behind the bumper it is open to the ground so the air intended for the radiator is free to go wherever it pleases. I think I'll close the open space under the nose and then block some of the lower grille
Sounds good. "Clean-sheet" it from the lower bumper edge to as far back as you can get it. For me that meant near the front axles line, due to the steering and suspension gear there. Coroplast is good; I used really thin lauan plywood; 2.7 mm. Plenty of airflow so it stays dry + doesn't rot. Or prime with oil base house paint.

See if there was a baffle or deflector to grab air from center vents at lower bumper and direct it up to the radiator (if needed for your car's layout). They get lost sometimes. A friendly dealer service shop might tell you. Or check in junkyards.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:36 AM   #13

I purchased the car new and I did ask about that. I was told it never had one and never was intended to have one. after crawling under the car I am tossing the BS flag. I will make one out of luan or aluminum and then block the grille a bit.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:51 PM   #14

I have the grille block done upper and 90% lower I noticed that the heater has more affect on the engine temp so I may open it up a touch till I get the tray done.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #15

I have screened in the belly of the wagon and if nothing else the wind noise is reduced. I am currently above 1/2 tank and 210 mi which is far better than the car has ever done in the past. I am cautiously optimistic that I may see 450 mi on this tank.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #16
Registered Member

Pics?
Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:34 PM   #17
DRW
Registered Member

'Screened in the belly?'
I haven't heard of this before. Is it as simple as it sounds? Just attach a layer of household screen door/window material to the underside of the car?
Old 12-30-2007, 06:30 AM   #18

I used industrial aluminum window screen. I got the idea from this site and this thread... http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=5613

I will post photos of mine after it stops raining
Old 12-30-2007, 03:49 PM   #19
Registered Member

I've thought about using screen too. Would it just make enough turbulence to develop kind of a "air wall" that air would just continue flowing past cleaner? Would like to do under my trailer, maybe the bus.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
I've thought about using screen too. Would it just make enough turbulence to develop kind of a "air wall" that air would just continue flowing past cleaner? ...
See the thread quoted two posts above.

You can paint the screening and omit the paint around the exhaust or any other parts that might need ventilation. The paint fills in the gaps in screening. I found some latex/acrylic paint for aluminum and galvanized steel; I used it on stainless for another project and it bonded very well in spite of the fact that almost nothing bonds to stainless. I hope to "screen" the bottom of my car this coming spring.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote