sunfire front - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

sunfire front

if you look a the front on my car you can see two "vents", when i bought the car i quickly saw that they do nothing. looks only. i was wondering if blocking them or covering them in corplast would have any effect? would the air just pile up inside and then not be a problem?

boofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
Registered Member

Good question. I have two foglight holes that I have wondered the same thing about.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

I'd definiely fill or cover the fog light holes on the Element. I think the angled corner faces are well suited to sliding air off to the sides however I'd guess that the deep pockets are cusing a lot of turbulence.

I'd produce a flat cover for the openings.
I considered installing a round dome fog light there except due to the angle of the face, a plain lens front would be badly aimed. So just make it pretty flat and smooth unless you really like adding lights to your ride.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
Registered Member

what type of screws do people use to attach the lawn edging to the front of the vehicles?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #5
Registered Member

Well... I built mine using 1/4" or 5/16" plywood. I used #8 stainless screws with nuts and washers to fasten my work to the OEM air dam and all other fastenings.. Should have used lock washers or locktite; I found most screws had loosened after a couple weeks.

However I'd think that for lawn edging, rivets might be very good.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
Registered Member

Aren't the sunfires holes there to provide air to the radiator? At any rate, most radiator openings can be mostly blocked with no over heating problems.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red91sit View Post
Aren't the sunfires holes there to provide air to the radiator? At any rate, most radiator openings can be mostly blocked with no over heating problems.
i wish. i hate things on cars that don't have a purpose. those air vents are just for show. i will try and post pictures later tonight.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #8
Registered Member

Form < Funtion

:-)
Old 06-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
plastic rivets.

I just found out about plastic rivets, apprently they are commen in auto body repair because they work well with plastic, don't rust, blend in with other plastic, and are a bit larger so they don't rip out as easly, after hitting a bit of dirt with my factory front air dam and riped out two of the screws I used one of these, it worked great.

my civic vx has the standard teal color, so to block my useless front vent areas I used chunk of black colored plastic, some flat black paint would work on other colors of plastic, altho it might flake over time, but with the black you don't notice it unless you look hard, check my garage for a photo.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #10
Registered Member

ok some close up of the font.

this is the hood and front bumper cover. i want to find something that can cover this gap. i find water and mud behind this so i know that air is getting in there. i think that it would help a bit to have it covered.

this is the under side of the front. as you can see the "air vents" do not feed the rad. it does have a neat airfoil that sucks air into the rad. with a small air dam to deflect more air up. i might try and make that larger.