Switching to a smaller mirror? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Switching to a smaller mirror?

Been looking at the SPA Formula F1 mirrors over at hrpworld.com. I dont think theyd actually look to bad in black with the darker color of my car. On a related website note, my mirrors are f'n huge. Just the mirror housing, not including the standoff is about 4.5" high x 9.5" wide. I would be essentially be cutting 50%+ off each of the mirrors alone not including the smaller standoff so maybe 65-70% pre side. I know that its a decrease in frontal area, but i just need other people this is a good idea.

ophidia31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
Registered Member

Mirrors can be wierd. For instance on certain models of Caprice, the Cd increases when you take the mirrors off... the new '08 Caravan has a special mirror design that drops Cd... so tread carefully.... OTOH I don't think the mirrors on my '88 voyager are particularly good and I'm looking for a chance to pick up some neon mirrors cheap, which I think I could make fit.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

Not too tough to tuft test?

Suggestion: Go to Walmart.
Get a pack of garage sale round stickers from office supply and get a bright ball (skein) of yarn and yarn tuft test with and without your mirror.

I have to fix a dropped driver door window in my Jetta TDI wagon and will take the opportunity to swap out the OEM driver's mirror while the door panel is off!

I have been trolling eBay for small motorcycle mirrors with 2 ball joints or a ball joint and one gimble so that I could fold it COMPLETELY flat up against the side window at times.

ArtFox is offline   Reply With Quote