Tape vs weatherstrip - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
Registered Member

Re: Tape vs weatherstrip

many things i have done to my car just to see if I could actually do it. the bumper was a big one. I have never done body work and I wanted to see if I could actually do it.

my motivation used to be about the money but now it is more of just a hobby. I used to worry about the aesthetics of my car but then a deer hit me and the realization that it is a cavalier. several months ago I got my tax notification for my car. on it they listed the value of the car. this is the value that the state determines your vehicle so they can tax you on it. realize that this number is usually over inflated. my value was $514. that isn't how much I owed but how much it was worth. my taxes were less than $5.

I too have that performancy side. I had a truck that would do 0-60 in under 6 seconds. not bad for a pick-em-up truck. resisting the urge to get one with the new hemi. something about 390hp and 408 ft/lbs just gets my blood pumping

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Registered Member

I would say I am here for the mixture of saving money and as a competition with these newer cars to see how good of mileage I can get with old technology and styling.

Last year for college I was filling up about every few days, all highway miles and I would always fill up at half a tank. But I was spending money on gas like crazy. Really wish I knew what I know now back then I could have saved SO much money.

Ouch Beef, I would be insulted how much the state determines mine to be worth with everything I have done to it and how much I take care of it.

I believe we can still have a bit of fun with our cars and still get good mileage, maybe as long as it is a small engine. how big is the engine in your cavalier anyways? SOHC or DOHC?

Old 10-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

They think my truck is worth $10,000...if I tried hard and waited I might get $2,500 for it.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
Registered Member

values are funny things. the state seems to think my dad's house has almost doubled in value. he actually fought the bill and won. if your car is worth more, you pay more. funny how mine is worth pennies. it may also be because it has a salvaged title too.

my car actually has a pretty big motor in it (for a 4 banger). it is a 2.2 liter it was before the ecotech motor so probably single overhead. it does say 2 valves per cylinder so very plane jane motor. it does get me by. it is specked at 115hp. it probably hasn't had that in years. my assumption is that my blow by is probably pretty bad right about now. waiting to see how long she lasts.

when I was in college, gas was like $1.50 a gallon or something. lowest I remember paying was $0.89 (now my age comes out). really wasn't that long ago.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #15
Registered Member

wow what a difference mine is a SOHC 1.9 only 100 hp i think. I wanna swap for the dual cam.

You are lucky when I was constantly filling up it was during the big gas price hike.

I know this is completely off topic of this thread but I was wondering how is your ac since you have blocked off you grill? I understand that you have the air deflector underneath right before the condenser and radiator that directs a lot of air up, but does it take a while for the ac to get cold? During the summer times when you use your ac
Old 10-13-2011, 02:45 AM   #16
Registered Member

a/c hasn't worked in ~7 years. I'm right on the virginia border so I really don't see that many scorching days. I will admit that there have been a few times when I have said "to hell with this car" because it has been so hot. I tried fixing it a few times but just couldn't see investing the time or money into it.

I will say that the design of my car has about 90% of the cooling coming from the bottom. the grill seems to be more for aesthetis than anything. I honestly have never really had an issue with overheating and I would think the same would be said for the A/C condenser considering its location.

I've always driven a lot. my average seems to be hitting around 20,000 a year. usually that is split between a few vehicles though. I guess it is good that I have always like the little vehicles.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #17
Registered Member

Wow that's a LONG time with no ac.

I couldn't completely block off my grill because of the undertray. Unless I routed hoses from the openings in my bumper for foglights to them.