Tape vs weatherstrip - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Tape vs weatherstrip

Instead of filling in all the panel gaps say between the headlights, hood, doors, bumpers, and trunk with clear tape has anyone tried using weatherstrip? I am currently trying it out myself right now but was wondering if anyone else has tried it as well?

I just finished my test front and rear undertrays and belly panels and still want to improve my aerodynamics to try and help reach my +40 mpg goal.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Tape vs weatherstrip

generally speaking, tape is cheaper. I have used weather stripping on the front of my car around the headlights and for the upper grill. I really didn't notice much but it was more for completion than anything. i had done so much to the front end of my car, I might as well do that too.

I got the universal stuff from autozone and it worked well. it is also pretty stackable. I have about a 2 inch gap between my bumper and hood and just stacked a few pieces together to cover it.

****edit****

here is what I used

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=191113_0_0_

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, I understand tape is cheaper but you can't really seal things such as doors, the hood, the trunk, or the gas cap with tape because you will need to break the seals to gain access.

I used something similar around my headlights Beef, although I believe it was much cheaper. I purchased all my weatherstripping from Home Depot. I was very fortunate though having a white car so I wouldn't have to paint the strips. I will post my pictures in a moment.

Did you really have a 2" gap????
Old 10-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Registered Member

Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Registered Member

the gap I am speaking of is the one between the hood and the bumper between the headlights. if you look at my garage pictures you will see what I am talking about. I guess technically it is my upper grill opening.

I do agree that tape doesn't work well for a lot of things but it really is more about cost. most people aren't willing to put that sort of effort into it (along with the money). I will say that the biggest difference for me was the scangauge. driving style is probably 90% of the difference. (many people will probably argue this point though)

Old 10-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Registered Member

I just went and looked at it right now. Very nicely done for such a big gap!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Registered Member

oh man, you beat me to it. anyway, here it is for everyone else, old pic
I did leave room for my hand to get to the hood latch. after I redid the bumper I never added that back. my life kind of blind sided me so all my car stuff is on hold for a while.

***edit***

I assume that since I know my cavalier so well that everyone else knows cavaliers that well.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Registered Member

True, although I may not have spent much on all my weatherstrip so far I only expect a small % of increase in my aerodynamics.
I wanted to do the headlights and hood because of the huge gap and I truly couldn't stand looking at it everyday.

I do agree with you that driving style is everything as well I used to redline my car every time I would get on the Interstate and was always working towards better my 0-60 time and would always get around 27 mpg mixed. I also had my rear spoiler raised a lot to help with downforce a little after one windy day on the interstate while going around a turn in the road I felt my rear sliding a bit. But I have slowed down since then and the past two tanks with rushing have achieved 36 mpg.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Registered Member

I'm glad you brought that up about the hood latch because I was going to ask whether or not you had enough clearance when you popped the hood to reach it but you answered my question.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I do agree that tape doesn't work well for a lot of things but it really is more about cost. most people aren't willing to put that sort of effort into it (along with the money).
The money is an important issue for those who are here to save money - there's no point spending $40 on something that won't save you $40 in fuel for as long as you have it...or even if it will but you can do it cheaper another way. In the latter case it's about finding the balance that provides results you like (is it too ugly? too much maintenance required? etc) while still saving money.