The Aerostar Gets Aero Mods - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-21-2006, 10:31 AM   #11
Registered Member

The belly pan will give you the biggest gain in FE.

I would think that the angle on the grill block would be better than the straight up and down block.

If the bug zapper is pushing the wind over the windshield there would be a lot of turbulence under the area. I would take it off.

Aero stuff really helps even if you don't do a lot of highway driving. If you doing 30 MPH with a 15 MPH headwind it helping.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:08 PM   #12
Registered Member

The belly pan is the biggest gain, huh? I guess I'd better try that first, but it's going to take some ingenuity.

It's an AWD Aerostar so there is basically nothing but transmission underneath. Two differentials hanging down and a HUGE driveshaft running to the rear.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:27 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
The belly pan is the biggest gain, huh? I guess I'd better try that first, but it's going to take some ingenuity.

It's an AWD Aerostar so there is basically nothing but transmission underneath. Two differentials hanging down and a HUGE driveshaft running to the rear.
You don't have to do it first. Just work with what you got. The Grill Block is easy do that first. You'll get abot 3% increase. The skirts is what I'm really struggling with can't seem to get it to work right.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:54 PM   #14
Registered Member

What are you trying for skirts? I'm going to use MetroMPG's velcro method for the rear skirts, but I'm going to try foam/fibreglass panels instead of Krazy Karpet.

For the fronts I think...no...I know I can make it work as long as I have something to bolt/weld the framework to. However, I haven't pulled the wheels off the Aerostar yet to see what is available. Worse comes to worse I will do the grill, rear skirts, and attempt a belly pan.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:58 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos
So far I have seen a 6 MPG increase (from 20MPG to 26MPG) in the mileage of my wife's Honda Odyssey after I installed underbody panelling and a 40% grill block. She drives "normally", not using any of the driving techniques we've discussed on this board for improving mileage. Most of her driving is on rural 55MPH roads.
Humm.... I like the sound of that. I may have to do that to my wifes Pilot. 6 MPG is huge. I would be happy with 3 on that pig!

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:38 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
What are you trying for skirts? I'm going to use MetroMPG's velcro method for the rear skirts, but I'm going to try foam/fibreglass panels instead of Krazy Karpet.

For the fronts I think...no...I know I can make it work as long as I have something to bolt/weld the framework to. However, I haven't pulled the wheels off the Aerostar yet to see what is available. Worse comes to worse I will do the grill, rear skirts, and attempt a belly pan.
I've tried cardboard and coloroplast with no luck. Trying to deal with the bulge and not having any luck with FE. I know it will increase FE I just have to make em right. Just another item to add to the every increasing list.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:49 PM   #17
Registered Member

Just a note on coroplast. I used to be a signmaker so I've worked with coro a LOT. You can make coro conform to just about any shape by cutting one side of a flute or group of flutes.

Styrene (basically what Krazy Karpets are made from) is another thin, easily conformable material that you can also find at a signshop. Use a coathanger like MetroMPG did to build a frame and attach the styrene to it. Styrene can become brittle in cold weather...exactly why Krazy Karpets are so prone to smashing to bits when stepped on.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Just a note on coroplast. I used to be a signmaker so I've worked with coro a LOT. You can make coro conform to just about any shape by cutting one side of a flute or group of flutes.

Styrene (basically what Krazy Karpets are made from) is another thin, easily conformable material that you can also find at a signshop. Use a coathanger like MetroMPG did to build a frame and attach the styrene to it. Styrene can become brittle in cold weather...exactly why Krazy Karpets are so prone to smashing to bits when stepped on.
Thanks. Don't have to worry about cold weather
Old 06-21-2006, 03:06 PM   #19
Registered Member

Some shops may have another name for Styrene, but I'm not certain. It comes in various thicknesses, but the most common are .020", .040", and .060". Go for .040" - it's a good blend of durability and lightweight. .020 is flimsy and .060 actually starts to get pretty heavy (though it's nearly unbreakable - I guess a wheel-skirt sized chunk wouldn't be too heavy).

To cut it you only have to score it about a 1/3 of the way through and then snap it along the cut line. Watch those edges though...think extra thick, extra painful paper cut.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #20
Registered Member

Coroplast is made of polypropylene, so you can use a heat gun to weld pieces together (with or without using welding rods cut from thin strips of coroplast), and also to create curves without sharp bends.