The Aerostar Gets Aero Mods - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2006, 07:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

The Aerostar Gets Aero Mods

Okay, this is a thread to motivate me to get some wheel skirts and grill blocking done on the Aerostar before I take it on summer holidays. I roughly calculated out previous mileage at 22 mpg.

I will try rear wheel skirts, grill block, and I will attempt some front wheel skirts using my framework idea. Is there a glue/weld cement that will hold a light frame to the strut assembly?

Any guesses as to mileage improvement?

Old 06-20-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
Registered Member

JB Weld... I use it for everything!

LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
Registered Member

So far I have seen a 6 MPG increase (from 20MPG to 26MPG) in the mileage of my wife's Honda Odyssey after I installed underbody panelling and a 40% grill block. She drives "normally", not using any of the driving techniques we've discussed on this board for improving mileage. Most of her driving is on rural 55MPH roads.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos
So far I have seen a 6 MPG increase (from 20MPG to 26MPG) in the mileage of my wife's Honda Odyssey after I installed underbody panelling and a 40% grill block. She drives "normally", not using any of the driving techniques we've discussed on this board for improving mileage. Most of her driving is on rural 55MPH roads.
Hmmm. That makes a lot of sense, really. Consider that at 55mph, the main bottleneck to fuel economy at those speeds is drag, not rolling resistance, and not gearing, as in most cars gearing at 55MPH is usually quite good. At higher speeds, gearing coupled with aero mods are what is needed to fully wring increased FE out of your car.
Mighty Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:07 AM   #6
Registered Member

1. There's a bug/rock deflector on the hood. It's probably not helping aerodynamics, right? Should I take it off?

2. The Aerostar's grill is dead flat. The bumper protudes slightly underneath it. The hood and windshield are practically an integrated slope. Would it be beneficial to angle the grill blocking material slightly from the front of the bumper to the front edge of the hood?

Old 06-21-2006, 07:13 AM   #7
*shrug*

Bug deflector would mess up the airflow as air goes over it, I think. That's the point, isn't it?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:50 AM   #8
Registered Member

I thought it was just to keep everything from mashing into the edge of your hood... Rocks and bugs hit the "deflector" instead of the hood. I don't know, maybe it really does "deflect" them (into the windshield ).
Old 06-21-2006, 07:56 AM   #9
*shrug*

I thought that it pushed them up so they didn't hit the windsheild, *shrug*
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:27 AM   #10
Registered Member

I have no clue, maybe you're right. I always thought they were more for looks and to keep your front end from getting dinged up, but maybe there is actually some scientific thought that goes into them? Beats me. It came with the van, but if it's messing up the aerodyns in the front then I think I'll remove it.

I wonder what my wife will think of the mods? I worked out the savings. A 5 mpg increase will equal $13 over 600 km with gas prices at $1.05/L, but they will probably be $1.10/L or higher in the summer so the savings will be more. So, if I can keep the costs cheap then they will pay for themselves with one long trip.

I may go ahead and try the belly pan while I'm at it.