The Beast's airdam extension is installed! **Pics included** - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow The Beast's airdam extension is installed! **Pics included**

Ok, after listening to everyone talk about air dam extensions and then looking at collegekid01's airdam extension on his Volvo I decided to follow his lead...

I went last week to a U-Pull-It junkyard and got an airdam off of a 2wd Chevy Tahoe (so it didn't have the cutouts for the towing/recovery hooks). Cost: $10. I paid special attention to save all of the bolts and mounting hardware from the truck I removed it from. I rinsed most of the junkyard mud off of it this morning, and then removed all of the bolts and clips from the (new) airdam. I then laid all of the bolts out so I knew exactly where they were going. I used a 3/8" drill bit to drill holes in the bottom of my truck's airdam, and installed the clips onto my airdam. I then used a smaller drillbit and drilled matching holes in the bottom of the second airdam. I then bolted it on. I imagine once I get the red clay residue off of the second airdam it will be less noticeable. For $10 it can't be beat.

-Jay

Factory setup:

Test fitting a bolt onto the bottom of my factory airdam:

The "new" airdam laid out underneath the original one:

The following are pics of the finished product:

Again, once I clean it up I'm hoping this will look pretty close to stock.

Does anyone think that I should make pieces to fill in the space for the recovery hooks, and the access holes in the bottom piece where you accessed the mounting bolts for the chrome bumper?

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
Registered Member

Test it first to see if this is worth keeping. If yes, then any sort of covering or filling agent can fix those holes.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
azraelswrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azraelswrd View Post
Test it first to see if this is worth keeping. If yes, then any sort of covering or filling agent can fix those holes.
I didn't do much driving today after the airdam was extended, but I did notice that the truck DFCO'ed going down a hill that it never DFCO'ed down before. My guess was that enough air was holding me back, and keeping it just below the threshhold for DFCO. It seems to coast a little better too. I think this is a keeper. I can't wait to see how this changes my highway mileage. I still have a few days of city driving before I can get some highway miles.

-Jay

Old 08-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Registered Member

highway miles will tell the tail. also you could always paint both of the airdams so that they match. this would involve some time and effort but could be worth it. this would also blend in any filler you use if you chose to cover the holes

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
highway miles will tell the tail. also you could always paint both of the airdams so that they match. this would involve some time and effort but could be worth it. this would also blend in any filler you use if you chose to cover the holes
My plan right now is to take some whitewall tire cleaner and clean the airdams, then a thin coat of Mother's Back To Black should make them match. Now that the Buick is back on the road again I'll need some whitewall cleaner anyway.

-Jay

Old 08-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Registered Member

I didn't think about that stuff. does it really work? I guess it does. I have never really had a use for it.

on a related note: I am working on "PROJECT WIFE" it is probably the hardest thing for me. I am trying to get her to care. she is even more picky than me about how her car looks. I spent about 3 hours today making her grill block and I think it looks pretty good. I made it out of clear plexi glass to cover her upper grill. it is hard to see in these pics but that is more the point. more than anything, it is just shiny when the sun hits it. I may end up painting it black. time will tell.

you can see the black wire ties that I used to hold it in place with. and I cut out a hole for the honda symbol to come through it for a more custom look. there again, trying to make it look semi-stock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tr023oxuu24yt6c68y5u.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1196   Click image for larger version

Name:	6qibpwkfh503d6379ti8.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1197  

Old 08-11-2008, 03:20 AM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I didn't think about that stuff. does it really work? I guess it does. I have never really had a use for it.

on a related note: I am working on "PROJECT WIFE" it is probably the hardest thing for me. I am trying to get her to care. she is even more picky than me about how her car looks. I spent about 3 hours today making her grill block and I think it looks pretty good. I made it out of clear plexi glass to cover her upper grill. it is hard to see in these pics but that is more the point. more than anything, it is just shiny when the sun hits it. I may end up painting it black. time will tell.

you can see the black wire ties that I used to hold it in place with. and I cut out a hole for the honda symbol to come through it for a more custom look. there again, trying to make it look semi-stock
Back to Black is great. It works on vinyl, rubber, and plastics - and not just black plastic. I collect, restore & sell vintage landline telephones as a hobby. Nothing will put a better than new shine on a 40 year old phone better than back to black. I've tried all of the specialty products... Novus and such. I always come back to the Mother's.

-Jay

Old 08-11-2008, 06:30 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Jay and BEEF, both looking great.

Jay, I'd definitely do something about the color and fill the mounting holes on the junkyard one. It may be difficult to do anything about the recovery hook holes on the OEM one.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:41 AM   #9
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Jay and BEEF, both looking great.

Jay, I'd definitely do something about the color and fill the mounting holes on the junkyard one. It may be difficult to do anything about the recovery hook holes on the OEM one.
Thanks. I'm thinking on cutting 2 mating pieces of coroplast and secure it from behind with the interior type push-on fasteners with smooth black heads. I'm thinking my next project will probably be a grille block. That grille opening is like 5 or 6 square feet (at least). I'm sure I can choke that back some. Again, once I get the last of the Virginia red clay residue off of the junkyard airdam it shouldn't be as noticeable.

-Jay

Old 08-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #10
Registered Member

I have always thought that fuel efficient mods can look good depending on how much time you are willing to put into it.

I want good mileage but I want to look good doing it too.

jay, can you just take the recovery hooks off and coroplast the hole or do you need the hooks? a grill block would do you good too.