Threw caution to the wind - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2007, 02:05 PM   #1

Threw caution to the wind

Decided it was time to do *something* sorta aero . With most people having good luck with their grill block , figured I'd at least test blocking the upper grill. My actual project today was to finally get around to putting the bug screen in front of the radiator . That required the grill to be removed and one project always leads to another ! I placed pics of the temporary grill block (good old cardboard -nothing fancy yet) in My Garage . Waited all day for the temperature outside to come up (was s'posed to hit 90*!! Good test weather and on a weekend too ) . 3:00 pm and it was *just* 80 - patience not working today . Headed to hilly country and drove and drove ...p&g ... drove ....drove . ScanGauge never went over 197* mostly sat in the 188-192* range . So into town I go aiming purposefully for stoplights . Made sure I hit every red I could so it could sit and get hot ...194-197* max . So now for a real block . Going to use the k.i.s.s. principle and just do a cover over - either plexi /lexan /monokote and avoid Mr Murphy as long as possible .
The coasts with the block and two miniscule additional psi in the tires seems to have increased distance by a 1/3 ! We'll see officially in the a.m.

MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
Registered Member

Good going. Looks like if you spray the cardboard black the job will be nearly invisible. Maybe you did that already?

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #3

Nope! I thought about painting it ,but it's a temporary effort only. Wanted to see if it would make a dif on this car as well as see if there would be any potential overheat issues . The real deal is in the making though , finished material depends on what I can scavenge up .
Old 06-25-2007, 01:57 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
Nope! I thought about painting it ,but it's a temporary effort only. Wanted to see if it would make a dif on this car as well as see if there would be any potential overheat issues . The real deal is in the making though , finished material depends on what I can scavenge up .
Wait till you start with the air dam and side skirts. And don't forget about covering the driving light openings. Don't worry about Mr. Murphy. He lives with me here in Michigan. Why, right now he's out in the garage cooking something up.

Proud owner of Stinkerbutt!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Air Raid cone filter, direct to TB
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
-Now featuring front wheel canards!
kitcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:17 AM   #5
Registered Member

Way to go.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcar View Post
Wait till you start with the air dam and side skirts. And don't forget about covering the driving light openings.

Don't worry about Mr. Murphy. He lives with me here in Michigan. Why, right now he's out in the garage cooking something up.

I'm thinking by the looks of it under the front bumper cover - a belly pan will be more efficient . I will definitely do something in front of the wheels though.
May very well be imitating deflector designs

Cooking ? Oh *do* tell ?!!
Sure glad Mr M is in Michigan - Despite a pretty good head wind I managed a 47.9 mpg round trip (39.5 miles) today ! The temp gauge sat dead center (normal) and the ScanGauge never went over 197*,which for todays outside temp @ 80* is right where it should read .
Old 06-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
Registered Member

Sweet!
Old 06-26-2007, 01:05 PM   #8

Todays 90* + temps demanded a bit of attention today ...why I haven't a clue ? Due to the fresh window tint I ran the a/c (manually cycling it)to and from work. Op temps never went over 202* (most of the time sitting at a paltry 198*)!!? That is cooler than the 204-206* without the block . Is it safe to assume that the cooling fans are on ? I didn't hear/feel them kick on at all.When I got into the garage I popped the hood and they weren't on at that time either. Any input from anyone as to this phenomena ?
Old 06-26-2007, 01:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

Some cars, when the A/C is kicked on, will automatically kick on the fans and leave them running regardless of engine temperature. Could that be happening? You should be able to hear them in the garage.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:37 PM   #10

Actually most cars cycle the fan on with the a/c ... that's what confuses me - the a/c was on when I physically checked under the hood but the fans were not. ? Odd don't ya think ? Didn't seem as if they were running more often or longer just cycled as normal ,yet the temps weren't any different either. Ionno must be a new Ford thang ...

('any different' meaning running warmer than usual - which I figured would be a given )