Top up vs. down? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Top up vs. down?

I got my best tank ever in my Mustang today (which still isn't much to brag about...but still), and it got me to thinking about why. Some of it is probably that the engine seemed to run a bit warmer today, and the fact that it's probably starting to get broken in now helped, too. But here's something that occured to me...the tanks where I don't do quite as well seemed to have in common the fact that I did a majority of the driving sans convertible top, where my better tanks had more top-up time.

What are the effects of driving this thing with the top up versus down? I imagine it's a little less brick-like with the top up, correct?

'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

Top up will generally yield major improvements over top down, regardless of the vehicle. 4 mpg in myTriumph Spitfire, for example which can get up to 40. Often even higher percentages for boxier vehicles with more upright windshields, such as Jeeps.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Top up is generally better on most convertibles. It wouldn't surprise me though is there was an epoxy-glass fastback hardtop available for it.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hmm, that sucks. The top down is my only a/c...and my only defense against 98* summers with bajillion percent humidity.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
What are the effects of driving this thing with the top up versus down? I imagine it's a little less brick-like with the top up, correct?
The effects can be really good - more dates if you're single.

Driving with your top down if you're female can result in more dates and causing more accidents though!

Seriously, when I've driven convertibles, if I am driving with the top down I'm spending my mileage money on the fun of it. If you're looking to increase mileage, get a removable hardtop to go with the convertible.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post
The effects can be really good - more dates if you're single.

Driving with your top down if you're female can result in more dates and causing more accidents though!

Seriously, when I've driven convertibles, if I am driving with the top down I'm spending my mileage money on the fun of it. If you're looking to increase mileage, get a removable hardtop to go with the convertible.
Hence why I dropped the top yesterday when I tested out the fan clutch I just put in

You're right. In the end, you get a car like this for smileage, not mileage. I was just curious for curiosity's sake...
Old 03-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Registered Member

Absolutely top up is better mpg, but believe it or not top down with the windows rolled up is almost as good (and keeps the wind from smacking your hair in your eyes lol) makes things much calmer inside the car (now you know why some folks ride top down windows up, I do).
Old 03-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8307c4 View Post
Absolutely top up is better mpg, but believe it or not top down with the windows rolled up is almost as good (and keeps the wind from smacking your hair in your eyes lol) makes things much calmer inside the car (now you know why some folks ride top down windows up, I do).
Huh...imma hafta try that one. I usually do that on cooler days anyway.