tossing around the idea of adding a splitter - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
Registered Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58YEB...eature=related
This'll give you something to think about.
NASCAR teams spend $10,000 for a 10 hour block of wind tunnel time.
I tend to think most of the aerodynamic tinkering has been done by the factory and only the impractical modifications are left for us.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
Registered Member

I covered the bottom of the front of my car from the lip toa few inches behind the front wheels. I haven't been able to calculate MPG because of crazy weather. The biggest benefit is not cringing every time I hit a puddle.
I covered it in a campaign sign.

I'm going to cover the rear soon.

fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:33 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatto View Post
I tend to think most of the aerodynamic tinkering has been done by the factory and only the impractical modifications are left for us.
Those engineers are surely some of the best engineers in the world. They have resources, training, and experience that we lack.

There are some things where I wonder about the compromises they have to make. They have to compromise for cars to be driven in all conditions by all kinds of drivers, to last for a long time, to go fast, to be conveniently serviced, for cost, and for style.

Aerodynamics is a major compromise for style...and probably cost, if the company's wind tunnel is in heavy demand.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
Registered Member

I believe that there are alot of compromises that we can make up for. That's why I got an engine management system, and did alot of the stuff I've done. Also, they have to engineer the cars to be serviceable, and have certain ground clearance. I'm sure that they could easily improve the aerodynamics by alot, if they didn't have to compromise to meet all the criteria. One would probably not hurt the Cd by putting on splitters, underbody smoothness, and such.
I see everything I come to own as an unfinished piece, able to be honed to my specifications. Of course some are more refined than others (I didn't do much to my Mercedes'). One cool thing about the EMS is that I can see by the amount of eintake vacuum, if it's working harder.
The fastest cars I've seen racing had front spoiler extensions that often scraped when braking on bumpy parts. I'd go that route if mine wasn't my daily driver.
BTW, you are lucky that you have your course marked with lines. It rains too much here for that, and I've gotten lost in the middle before

fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote