UHMW-PE For undertray - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #1

UHMW-PE For undertray

Has anyone looked at using Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMW-PE) as an undertray material? Its the stuff they use on the hockey rink edges, ..crap its a huge list. It's a very diverse plastic. It's also very slippery (close to teflon), very resistant to abrasion, highest impact strength of any thermoplastic, highly resistant to corrosive chemicals (oxidizing acids excluded), and its used in weeving for bullet proof vests. It's neat stuff. Apparently, its thee plastic to use for skidplates. Comes in very thin sheets (0.125") and is flexible so you could take a sheet and just screw it down to your underbody. It comes in just about whatever color you want too.

It's worth looking at, and installing. at .602lbs/sq. ft at 0.125" its also fairly light. A friend of mine used almost all a 4' x 8' sheet to cover his rally car underside. That's less than 19lbs and will keep your car clear of big rocks, sticks, tire shreds from beating the underside.

It's not terribly cheap. a 4' x 8' sheet of natural color is $190 or so. Might be more if you pick it up locally, that's an online price (+shipping is more!).

I plan to find smaller sheets local and start at the rear of the car and work forward.

almightybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:32 PM   #2

Obviously new, admittedly ignorant....

Why would you start at the back of the vehicle and move forward with this?

d1morgj0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

thats really not a good way to save money. your trying to save money from spending it on gas but youll buy a 190 piece of plastic instead of some cheaper stuff you can find for next to nothing. your friends case is a differnet story. the amount of debris that you will find on the road is 1% of what he will see off road so the abilities that plastic gives your friend, doesnt need to be applied on road.

also, you should really start at the front of the car and work your way back. if air is turbulent in the front of the car, all the smoothing/aero in the world isnt going to help it when it reaches the back of the car.
ophidia31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I have some small sheets of something that might be this stuff. It's very slick.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05rolla View Post
Obviously new, admittedly ignorant....

Why would you start at the back of the vehicle and move forward with this?
From the installation point of view:
The idea being the leading edge of each sheet is then set behind the sheet in front so as air travels along it "cascades" over the joins instead of meeting a lip at every joint.

From the aero benefits perspective then yes beginning at the front is the better way to go.

Pete.
GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

uhmw1 is incredibly amazing material. It is the cheapest plastic at least aroud here. My dad is a machinist and it is the plastic he uses in toxic (sewage treatment plants) environments. It is a great plastic but I think it may be more than you need, IMO

But I don't think that it is worth the 190 bucks though. Given that is an election year. I personally would just wait until one of those political reps come rounds asking to put a sign in your yard. But then I like the cheap side of things.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajac View Post
uhmw1 is incredibly amazing material. It is the cheapest plastic at least aroud here. My dad is a machinist and it is the plastic he uses in toxic (sewage treatment plants) environments. It is a great plastic but I think it may be more than you need, IMO

But I don't think that it is worth the 190 bucks though. Given that is an election year. I personally would just wait until one of those political reps come rounds asking to put a sign in your yard. But then I like the cheap side of things.
or call them
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #8

Ahh, yes for the price, on a pavement road only, not worth the 190 bucks. On the rally car, beyond worth it. If I had a truck, and took it offroading, as well as on road, it'd be worth it. but then maybe I'd use steel and wouldn't care about FE.

Pretty neat plastic despite the price.

almightybmw is offline   Reply With Quote