underside air flow - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
Wal-mart had fiberglass and aluminum screen so I picked the aluminum( took 2 7ft rolls).I expect the motor heat will last longer when parked.I used tie wraps to anchor it to anything I could find ( drilled a few holes for tie wraps also).

Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:01 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateful View Post
Wal-mart had fiberglass and aluminum screen so I picked the aluminum( took 2 7ft rolls).I expect the motor heat will last longer when parked.I used tie wraps to anchor it to anything I could find ( drilled a few holes for tie wraps also).
What the price for that?

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
What the price for that?
It was about $15 for both rolls. each roll 48"X84".
Old 11-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #14
Registered Member

What kind of MPG gains are you getting so far with the underbody condom you've made?

sonyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyhome View Post
What kind of MPG gains are you getting so far with the underbody condom you've made?
It's hard to say since I've added to my duck tape air dam also. I ran some errands with some highway miles and averaged 44mpg for the entire 40mile trip.Last tank averaged 38.4mpg I have noticed that the engine retains heat better between trips and warms up faster as well.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateful View Post
That's a pretty good idea What are you doing to make sure it doesn't flap around?

I really like this actually, while it won't give the benefit of a non permeable surface, it more than makes up with super easy installation

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
That's a pretty good idea What are you doing to make sure it doesn't flap around?

I really like this actually, while it won't give the benefit of a non permeable surface, it more than makes up with super easy installation
I drilled holes in the ridge of metal along the sides and used tie wraps to tighten it and well as duck tape on the metal and the screen to keep the screen from ]breaking( holes through tape and screen. I've also bought some spray paint to make the screen less permeable( only one can so far, three more when it's not so windy) The flaps on the bottom edge of the air dam do fold back hitting the tire at highway speed but no harm done; I can always add more red duck tape when it wears down.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #18
Registered Member

Slick. Pun intended.
I really like that the aluminum should hold up well and looks like a really easy install. The whole thing is a lot like the old aircraft cloth that gets painted with "dope".

Anyway, let us know how the paint on screen material holds up. If it cracks and leaves holes then maybe latex paint would be the way to go - but you'd have to brush it on; I don't think it comes in spray.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:42 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Slick. Pun intended.
I really like that the aluminum should hold up well and looks like a really easy install. The whole thing is a lot like the old aircraft cloth that gets painted with "dope".

Anyway, let us know how the paint on screen material holds up. If it cracks and leaves holes then maybe latex paint would be the way to go - but you'd have to brush it on; I don't think it comes in spray.
the plane doping is what gave me the idea; I was watching an episode of History Detective on public TV about a civil war hot air balloon where cloth and doping were used.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:18 AM   #20
Registered Member

I just filled the tank again. This time I got 502.1 miles on 12.894gal..I drove 125miles today,up to 70mph at times but mostly around 63 to 67.It was very windy,but warmer today. The screen is keeping the water temp to 130degrees after sitting in 40degree weather for 2 hours.