Universal AirVortex - Anyone Use These? Will They Work? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
Registered Member

actually the concept is to create a vortex to fill in the empty space or the hole that your car leave when it pushes through the air.

I am not truely convinced of all of this but as loserkidwak said, they are only $20. I would definitely get more use out of that than I did the coroplast. it is still in my garage collecting dust.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I like free better than $20:
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=6178

Old 09-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
Registered Member

yea but for 20 bucks I can make it look like it is supposed to be on the car. paint them white (already have the paint) and stick them down. I wouldn't expect much as far as gains but the look cool.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
Free is nice, I just felt more comfortable paying $20, they were already painted black (my car is black), have a warranty if they fall off with in 3 years they will send you new ones, and there website had some test results, of course they will vary for every vehicle and condition but I like to think that they might have a better chance of working...

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #15
Registered Member

thanks for the links WR, but ive read them already. I was just interested in seeing if anyone had used these particular brand/style. As i found from browsing another thread and trying to figure out what L.O.S.T. was, DarbyWalters has them on his Jeep Liberty so I PMed him for the 411.

He has them on his roof and just past the rear passenger windows so depending how they work i might test them on my car being applied before the rear windshield and on the side of the car before the rear bumper/trunk area.

Besides, its just too hard to get rid of this car that I only paid $2500 for!

I just dont know how crazy some steelie rims with moon covers on them would look.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
Registered Member

Well that car looks nice!!

Word of advice, look into turbulator tape.

That is what airplanes use and its what I will use behind the wheel wells and in front of the a pillar to help keep the flow attached. Look into turbulator tape trust me you will be amazed at how much evidence there is (much, much, much more than vortex generators; but I like how they look on top of the car... however i would not want them in the a pillar or the such thats why I am going to use turbulator tape there).
Old 09-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #17
Registered Member

yeah, im going to have to scavenge to get some aero mods going on my car. Like i found out that the lower air dam for a 94 - 97 accord fits my car, so thats going to be a no brainer install, but for the rear tire skirts, im going to need some mud flaps that stick out a little further than the stock ones do and then build a frame off of those to cover most of the wheel well.

must find turbolator tape.... if you have the link please share.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by trautotuning View Post
Word of advice, look into turbulator tape.

Interesting. Will it work at automotive speeds?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #19
Registered Member

I don't think I can find the source now but I know Airtabs have been tried on a Prius and an Insight with no benefit. I put Air tabs on my SL1 Saturn. The effect was between no gain and detrimental in every position I tried. Sometimes you want air to detach rather than cling to the back of the car. This is why we see the notches on the back of hatchbacks and trunk lids. Just my 2 cents. Yeah I have a bout 40 Airtabs I might try on the Dolphin motor home.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #20
Registered Member

Thumbs up

found some dimple tape, and here is a pic from one site showing the uses:

too bad the site is down for pricing/ordering

This stuff doesnt look too bad, and i could paint it to match. Would work great for the underside of the car before the back bumper and alongside the car maybe mid trunk area before the rear bumper.

kinda hard to see here (its along the front edge of windshield):

Here's some interesting reading about dimple tape: http://www.dimpletape.com/article.htm

Although it would take some work, i suppose some clear rubber or vinyl strips could be made to do the same thing using a drill, a length of board, and some clamps. shoot, you could make it out of thin plexiglass/omniplex although adhesion would be difficult since you wouldnt want to get glue in the holes.

guess i have a new topic to research~! ONWARD TO FIND DIMPLE TAPE!

look on rear pillar for this pic (follows along top of rear roof too):