Vent thread lololol - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Banned

Thumbs down Vent thread lololol

ok I want to vent something right now, I travel through the hood once in a while/all the time and i see all the buicks and maybe a few minivans with those stupid quartpanel vents above their front wheels, I don't even think those are real, They must just be stickers!

Why does everyone who thinks hes cool have to put these horrendous things on their cars?

worst mod ever.

does anyone have any clue about these(if you do thats funny)

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Banned

yea dawg

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

ya, fake, and their held on by adhesive. i believe they're "supposed" to signify how many cylinders(per side) on a particular vehicle. tho obviously FWD V6 cars have cylinders front and back rather than side to side.

careful w/ the slang, it could be interpreted as bigotry.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Registered Member

And back in the early/mid '50s people put Buick portholes in their car fenders. And grafted '48 Cadillac taillights on different cars (I remember a picture in an old 1952 or '53 issue of Motorsport magazine of a Chrysler Airflow with '48 Cad fins...actually was pretty well done). It's the same thing. People want to make their cars seem just a little bit cooler...if it makes 'em happy, what's wrong with it?

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

The original Buick concept car with portholes was supposed to have a light in each hole that would flash when a corresponding cylinder fired. AFAIK this never went beyond the prototype stage, but the holes remained a buick trademark for 30 years until they were dropped in the late 70's / early 80's. They have had a resurgence in the past 10 years though. Buick was putting them on select models with select equipment. I remember when I bought my 98 GMC my dad was looking at a Buick in the showroom. He asked the salesman if the portholes made the car go faster (because the portholed car was a lot more expensive). It turned out on that model, the supercharged model had portholes, the non-supercharged model did not. In a round about way, the portholed cars went faster...

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Registered Member

yea its just essentially a Buick trademark, im going to hold my tongue as to why i think it came back. (i notice them alot more on "donks" more than anything or wanna be donks)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:10 AM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

Yeah, it bugs me to see stick-on portholes on Ford Explorers and Honda Civics.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:39 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
My boss put them on his Pontiac G6...I'm not sure that his intention was 100% satirical.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:03 AM   #9
Registered Member

you realize they do this with just about everything automotive

the fake hood scoops (some actually come factory equipped)
the large tailpipes
the fake monza tips (fart cans)
the fake second muffler (resembling dual exhaust)
the huge wings on the back of FWD cars

and one that really takes the cake is once I saw a horn that attached to your throttle and would actuate at WOT. it was supposed to resemble a turbo. that was truly horrible (but cheap)

everyone wants to look cool and most want to look fast (even if they aren't) these are just cheap ways about doing it for those of us less fortunate.

I have flowmaster stickers on the back of my car, two of them. I figure they are worth 5hp each so that is 10hp to boot. (they ARE satirical)

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:28 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I heard that if you put the stickers on the wheels instead of the windows, you get 20% better fuel economy instead of the extra 10hp.