"Vortekz" generators....opinions?? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

"Vortekz" generators....opinions??

http://www.vortekz.com/

I just ran across these while doing a Google search. Thier theory appears to be sound(...on the surface, anyway) and the price is nice as well.

So, whadyathink?

disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with this particular company nor do I advocate the advancement of "snake oil" products. I simply want some feedback and/or speculation about this product from the experienced & educated people here.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Seems to be the same thing as Air Tabs, which might help since your Volvo is almost as boxy as the Jeep.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hmmm. With, admittedly, no aerodynamic knowledge involved on my part, my initial reaction is, I like them better than the airtabs or homemade sheet metal VGs. I like that they specify the angles for attachment, though they seem to have based that on someone else's research and not conducted their own windtunnel testing. Still, good price for a stick on aero-mod. I would be tempted to try a set.

s2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Seems to be the same thing as Air Tabs, which might help since your Volvo is almost as boxy as the Jeep.
Actually, I'm not really considering them for installation on my Volvo wagon. The back end of the car is beyond improvement of laminar separation...its probably more like laminar chaos.
Besides, I think I'd have to mount them only inches away from my rear lip spoiler, which could possibly negate the effects of the fins & the spoiler.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
Registered Member

Does anyone know of any tests done VGs? I'd be interested to ee the gains. Not bad for $20 though
Old 07-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
Registered Member

VG tests were supposed to be my job this year - I have had a full set of Airtabs sitting in a box since late last fall. But I haven't done any testing at all in 07 (too many projects). Not saying I won't be doing it, just not sure when.

EDIT: you can find all kinds of anecdotal "evidence" about VGs on cars all over the web, but that doesn't count, IMO.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
Registered Member

Yeah, I was hoping someone would have some good evidence. To prove or disprove. I guess it would be hard for it to actually hurt FE, but if it only improved a miniscule amount I wouldn't throw down the money. I'll search around some more but I didn't see anything.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
Supporting Member

SL8Brick -

These look cooler than the air tabs. They are on Mitsubishi Evo's. 20 bucks for 10 is a deal. I've actually been waiting for something like this.

I like how it has good instructions for installation :

http://www.vortekz.com/generators.htm#ins

I am thinking I could just get the black ones, no problemo.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #9

Considering they are probably identical to the VGs on the Mitsubishi Evo and the stuff (images, numbers) they have on their site is from Mitsubishi's research, which can be found in pdf form quite easily, I'd say they probably work quite well.

However, I spent a mere $4 for all 8 of my VGs, which are made out of a plastic butter tray I picked up at Target and cut to pieces with a hobby knife and stuck on with 3m double-side adhesive... They are modeled after the VGs on the Cessna 182 a friend of mine owns and just based on watching the dew dry off my back window, in triangular patterns extending from the positions that my VGs are placed on, I'd say they work. I will probably be tuft-testing to see in better detail the effect they have soon.
varg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
Supporting Member

Blue03Civic -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue03Civic View Post
Considering they are probably identical to the VGs on the Mitsubishi Evo and the stuff (images, numbers) they have on their site is from Mitsubishi's research, which can be found in pdf form quite easily, I'd say they probably work quite well.

However, I spent a mere $4 for all 8 of my VGs, which are made out of a plastic butter tray I picked up at Target and cut to pieces with a hobby knife and stuck on with 3m double-side adhesive... They are modeled after the VGs on the Cessna 182 a friend of mine owns and just based on watching the dew dry off my back window, in triangular patterns extending from the positions that my VGs are placed on, I'd say they work. I will probably be tuft-testing to see in better detail the effect they have soon.
Cool. Do you have pictures of your handiwork? Do you mean these kind of VGs? :

Attachment 775

Also, is the butter tray compatible with Parkay and/or Margarine ?

CarloSW2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plane_vgs.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	662  

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote