"Vortekz" generators....opinions?? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue03Civic View Post
Honestly, though you probably already know this, a boxy wagon is pretty much aerodynamically hopeless. There is no substitute for a boat tail on a wagon but VGs, in theory, are better than a small extension (small as in 6-8"). VGs create an aerodynamic simulation of a boat tail by energizing air flow, which delays the inevitable forming of turbulence and a resulting low-pressure area. Of course, unless you have them framing your roof and side panels they won't do much good. Ideally to compliment your roof and side panel VGs a smooth body pan and floor-mounted VGs would probably help a great deal.

Of course, you could use both the extension and the VGs, which would be even better than just one, as it would provide a little more space laminar flow and probably aid in the simulated flow attachment.
Thanks. This confirms my suspicions re. rear end aero improvements.

True, rear-drive Volvos are nicknamed bricks for good reasons. But I seem to be making progress on it. I've built a front air dam reaching to 7" from ground level, and belly pan from air dam reaching back about 26" to approx the front axles line. With tires at about 40 psi, I get a pretty decent glide out of it now.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Raccoonjoe Send a message via MSN to Raccoonjoe Send a message via Yahoo to Raccoonjoe
The whole time I've been reading about these VGs....and I've been wondering: Why hasn't anyone put these on the bottom of the car?? Attach them to the belly pan...even the bottom of the airdam. From what I understand, it should help the airflow smooth out and "skip" over parts of the rough underbelly of the car.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #23
Registered Member

Raccoonjoe,
I saw an image on this site once of someone that had VGs on the underbelly pan. I can't remember who, hopefully they read this and post that picture.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #24

Raccoonjoe, I remember someone talking about doing it once, or actually doing it, but I don't remember where I saw it. Without a full body pan, I don't think VGs will help much, unless you have a very smooth underbody on your car because the vortex they create is just going to wind up running into something under the car and being destroyed.
varg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #25
Registered Member

I remember seeing the pics also. Probably here somewhere but I have CRS syndrome (can't remember ****). Basjoos maybe? Or maybe tjts1?

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:06 PM   #26
Registered Member

Hi, it was me. Here is the thread.
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....ight=undertray
They were, as someone said, intended to try to keep the flow a little organized and help it "skip over" the rough spots under the car.

Did they help? I do not know.

I have put on a full belly pan (except for the exhaust) and rear undertray, so I am thinking about taking the VGs off, since the underside is mostly shmooooth coroplast.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #27
Registered Member

Remember that when you put VGs on, you need to orient them according to the air flow, not the body lines of the car. So you might need to do some tests to see what the actual air flow direction is. That is why the outboard VGs on the Evo are "straight" instead of "angled".
Old 07-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue03Civic View Post
Honestly, though you probably already know this, a boxy wagon is pretty much aerodynamically hopeless.
Exactly, Blue03Civic...which is why I wrote this earlier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLBrick
Actually, I'm not really considering them for installation on my Volvo wagon. The back end of the car is beyond improvement of laminar separation...its probably more like laminar chaos.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:05 PM   #29
Registered Member

But, if you believe anything about the marketing materials for VGs, then you believe that they are great for boxy vehicles. At least that seems to be airtabs biggest focus...
Old 08-17-2007, 06:27 AM   #30
Registered Member

My "Vortekz" experience....

Just a brief review/update......

Out of total curiousity, I did order a set of primed Vortekz generators even though I had no plans of installing them on either my Volvo or my Wife's VW Golf. One of my co-workers was curious as well, so I decided to make the $26.37 investment(freight inclusive).
They arrived only 2 days after I ordered them. The included instructions/templates are identical to the info provided on the website. The delta fins themselves appear to be well made...free of any mold lines or casting burrs. The plastic is very flexible, so a flex agent is required if you decide to have them painted. The 3M adhesive pads are custom-cut to the fin base shape and fit perfectly. Overall, I was rather impressed with the quality of materials.

Ok, so now you may be asking yourself " So, SL8Brick...what did you do with them since you didn't install them on your own car?" Well, it was my 18yr old nephew's birthday a few weeks ago. He drives a 1986 Chevy Camaro IROC thats seen better days and he's at that age where "boy racer" toys are still enticing. I sent the "Vortekz" fins to a local body shop and had them painted Chevy 'Flame Red', the same color as his Camaro. I finally installed the fins on his car last weekend. The included installation templates worked as advertised. Perhaps the most difficult part of the install was establishing a 'center line' on the roof. The T-tops on the Camaro made this quite easy, but I could see how it could become more labor intensive on a large, smooth roof with no point of reference. I had all 10 fins installed at the specified angles within an hour. They look unique on the Camaro and my nephew was pleased....whether or not they'll actually function on a fastback is beyond me.

SL8Brick