Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #21
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyhome View Post
In other words, forget about installing VGs, draft behind low riding cars with spoilers, in particular if they have VGs...

Maybe similar reason is why I feel drafting mazda3's on the road is better.
... no. i am not into tailgating and installing vgs will help either way.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #22
Registered Member

May I suggest that more clean flowing air on a rear spoiler is no necessarily a bad thing. I'm not suggesting that having a spoiler promotes FE in all cases. But rather that a properly designed and fully functional spoiler could potentially reduce turbulence behind the vehicle. Once again, this is something that Mitsu proved in their PDF. I will not deny that the Lancer EVO MRs rear wing is designed primarily for downforce. But there are many other examples of OE spoilers that could truly benefit from Vortekz fins(ie:Honda Civic Hybrid, VW Jetta TDI, BMW M3, ect.)

Old 08-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #23
Registered Member

Reduced turbulence = reduced drag, so long as airflow is not being turned into down or up force. The question is what happens to the wake behind the car. My bet is that most sedans and coupes with similar rear profiles will benefit from cleaner flow over the rear of the car.

Additionally, I would argue that the spoiler on the rear of the 6 is intended to be marginally functional, but only at higher speeds as seperation off the window tends to increase. So it may actually be of benefit to remove the spoiler. Only testing can really tell there.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:44 PM   #24
Registered Member

Well I rode to Fort Worth yesterday, From San Antoino, with a City/Highway mix of 5/95 percent, so mostly all Highway.

It was around 260 miles, or a little less than the halfway tank, and then I filled up again at Fort Worth with Shell. On the way over here I used Valero gas, though.

Anyway, I got 36.4 MPG!!!! The old EPA is of 31 and the new one of 29 MPG, so I know I did pretty good. I will add the tank to the gas log tonight.

So anyway, aside from the grill block, semi WAI, and these Vortekz Generators I did nothing else to the car, so I suspect that yes the Vortekz Generators do help in FE.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trautotuning View Post
so I suspect that yes the Vortekz Generators do help in FE.
Well, if you don't even know what your highway MPG was before the VGs, in a similar condition, with similar driving style, you can't confirm VGs help on your car more than just for cleaning the back window.

The only thing you can conclude is.. you're happy with your MPG the way the car is. (I guess you could check fueleconomy.gov to see what FE people report and see if anyone matches the same driving conditions to get a ballpark idea if aero mods have helped you).

For example, my unmodified del-sol surprised me when I hit 49mpg highway (with a traffic jam in between!) even though there's no aero mods. I attribute this to my changed driving habits.

sonyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:59 PM   #26
Registered Member

That's why semi-controlled testing is the best way to see if something works by eliminating some of the variables that can skew results. I do my tests on the same stretch of road, 3x north and 3x south with and without the modification (12 total trials) at the same period of the day after warming up the engine by running a 15+ mile route just for consistency. If I was really serious I would also take into account the amount of gas for weight fluctuations.

With the scangauge I also try to record results at a given TPS (since I don't have cruise control) and at a given MPH on the same stretch of flat road while watching out for other cars to avoid more variability.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
azraelswrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #27
Registered Member

^^ Yes I know, but I only had time to do those tests and i did not have a scangauge at the time (But i do now for future tests like my fuel heater experiment and other experiments down the road).

Anyway, with the airflow test that I DID do I, in my opinion, help. Again, just look at those figures compared to what the EPA is, even the old one.

I know most people who really hypermille get around 32mpg on this car, so I do think the aero mods have really helped.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:49 PM   #28
Registered Member

I'm not saying it didn't help but if you go through more controlled testing in the future, that will put some of the doubt to rest and silence the naysayers.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
azraelswrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:37 AM   #29
Registered Member

gas logs are awesome. let the man fill his tank up at least before you shoot him in the foot.

I do agree that better testing is needed but if he is like me, he probably doesn't have time for all of that. I personally wouldn't have had time for the yarn test. time will tell.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #30
Registered Member

Exclamation vortec generators

I know they work through my own testing . I have been running them on my swift for about a year. Great testing pics I should have sent in pics on how I tested my generators. And yes they do work on hatch back cars they just need different placement on the roof....My testing was done in the car wash like my own wind tunnel.using the water spray as my test just like on the street in the rain..It really worked!!!!!

green swift is offline   Reply With Quote