VW owners...OE grill block for Mk4 Golf/Jetta - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

VW owners...OE grill block for Mk4 Golf/Jetta

Hi fellow VW drivers...

If you didn't already know, I've been a 'parts consultant' for VW/Audi for the past 17yrs. This new product is something that I just came across while browsing through the most recent parts circulars on VW's employee-only website. To the best of my knowledge, it has yet to be advertised in any VWoA consumer accessory literature....so consider it a GasSavers.org exclusive.

They're marketed as "Cold Weather Masks" and designed for Winter use on Mk4(1999.5>2005) Golf/Jetta TDi models in the interest of quickly achieving/maintaining warm cabin temps. I don't have any postable pics of these masks yet, but basically they cover about 80% of the upper center portion of the main grill(above the front bumper). They're custom-fit and the material is similar to the OE front end covers(aka:bra). According to the circular, they attach via Velcro-like fasteners. Installation/removal is supposed to be quick & simple.

Now, I'd like to stress that use of this particular product would be considered 'experimental' if used on non-TDi vehicles and/or if they're used during the non-Winter months or in areas that lack frigid Winter temps. And even though this is an OE accessory, there are potential warranty voiding implications if used outside of the parameters in which they were designed for. The common sense rules of grill block use & installations would apply here(ie: one eye on the temp gauge...one eye on the road).

VW part#s are as follows:
ZVW193899 - 1999-2006 Mk4 Golf(will fit GTI as well)
ZVW193898 - 1999.5-2005 Mk4 Jetta Sedan & Wagon

MSRP at time of posting is ~$30 per kit.

If your interested, feel free to contact your local VW parts dept. to order them. VW warehouses currently show ample stock of both kits.

Enjoy!!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
*shrug*

Very cool! Sock it to that guy whining about grill blocks...

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hate to be a bother, but is there any chance of you tracking down an Mk3 for me? I missed the cutoff by a year, as my TDi is a 98.

Otherwise I will have to shrinkwrap the frontend of my car with the stuff they use on boats. I figure that I won't have to do it often, what with the 10,000 mile oci that I am going to be using.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
I'd totally appreciate a picture if it's not too much trouble

I just so happen to have a MkIV Jetta

Does it cover the logo and conform to the hood notch too (something tells me no, but I'm curious ).

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:48 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
Hate to be a bother, but is there any chance of you tracking down an Mk3 for me? I missed the cutoff by a year, as my TDi is a 98.
Sorry, Erdrick...VW is only offering them for Mk4s. If they come out with something for Mk3s(...or any other model for that matter), you'll be one of the first to read about it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03
I'd totally appreciate a picture if it's not too much trouble

I just so happen to have a MkIV Jetta

Does it cover the logo and conform to the hood notch too (something tells me no, but I'm curious ).
Unfortunately, the only photos currently available are in pdf form on VWoAs dealer website. I'd like to link the circular here, but I'm bound by VW's privacy agreement. However, your local VW dealership's parts dept. might be able to print the circular for you and show you the pics. Ask for accessory circular #024-08-06-UCF.

No, the mask does not cover the center emblem on the grill...but it does cover all of the grill slats to either side of it. The only open gaps are above & below the center slats. IMO, the mask for the Jetta looks much more appealing the the Golf mask.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:08 AM   #6
Registered Member

Well that lets me out, given the Cabrio's based on the Mk3.

I'd previously thought about buying a "bra" and lining the back of the screening to make a clean-looking and easily-removable grill block though, so it's nice to see the idea validated by none other than VW themselves.

For a temporary test, I'm currently using clear packing tape on the outside of the above-bumper grill vents. Only the slot that is part of the hood opening remains uncovered. Once it gets a little colder I plan to take some coroplast to the lower openings.

SL8Brick, maybe you can answer a question for me. Below the bumper there's a wide center grill with a smaller one to each side. The center one clearly feeds the radiator. The one on the driver's side is a fake -- it's blocked from the factory. Do you know what specific purpose the passenger-side grill serves? I can't tell if it's to cool something specific (e.g. alternator, power steering pump, whatever) or if it's supposed to be part of the air intake (doesn't seem likely based on placement) or what. I'd rather know exactly why it's there before I start mucking about with it.

Thanks for sharing the very cool information on the grill block. Even if it doesn't apply to me, it's greatly appreciated, and I'm sure the other VW owners here feel the same way.

Cheers,
Rick
Old 10-16-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rae View Post
...so it's nice to see the idea validated by none other than VW themselves.
True, but VW isn't releasing these with improved fuel economy & aerodynamics in mind. They're designed to help warm up the tootsies of freezing TDi owners when the mercury drops in the Winter.

Quote:
SL8Brick, maybe you can answer a question for me. Below the bumper there's a wide center grill with a smaller one to each side. The center one clearly feeds the radiator. The one on the driver's side is a fake -- it's blocked from the factory. Do you know what specific purpose the passenger-side grill serves? I can't tell if it's to cool something specific (e.g. alternator, power steering pump, whatever) or if it's supposed to be part of the air intake (doesn't seem likely based on placement) or what. I'd rather know exactly why it's there before I start mucking about with it.
Rick, I did inquire with our service dept. but I was unable to come up with an official answer. But if I had to guess, the answer might be "all of the above". I believe your air intake snorkel draws in air from behind the RH fender skirt. Although the location of the grill/intake duct does not equal a 'ram air' system, the open RH grill would allow cooler ambient air to that specific area. Also, those wacky German VWAG engineers have recently gone extra lengths to provide additional cooling to the alternator. Heck, the new Audi A8L has a water-cooled alternator. So I wouldn't be surprised if that was thier intention as well.

Another sidenote worth mentioning: The center lower grill in your bumper is identical to the Mk4 Golf/GTI. The 2002-03 337/20th Ann. edition GTIs came with a modified lower center grill with thinner slats to allow a cleaner flow of air to the radiator(VW part#1J0853677E B41). Something to keep in mind if you're planning on experimenting with an upper grill block.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL8Brick View Post
True, but VW isn't releasing these with improved fuel economy & aerodynamics in mind. They're designed to help warm up the tootsies of freezing TDi owners when the mercury drops in the Winter.
Understood.

Thanks for looking into that passenger-side grill for me. Sounds like I won't be messing with it, just to stay on the safe side.

Quote:
Another sidenote worth mentioning: The center lower grill in your bumper is identical to the Mk4 Golf/GTI. The 2002-03 337/20th Ann. edition GTIs came with a modified lower center grill with thinner slats to allow a cleaner flow of air to the radiator(VW part#1J0853677E B41). Something to keep in mind if you're planning on experimenting with an upper grill block.
Handy to know; thanks. And sans the slot just below the hood, the upper grill block is already in place, and has been for a couple of months now. No obvious effect on FE to date though, but I haven't done any coast-down tests or controlled/monitored high-speed driving yet, either.

Rick
Old 10-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL8Brick View Post

Unfortunately, the only photos currently available are in pdf form on VWoAs dealer website. I'd like to link the circular here, but I'm bound by VW's privacy agreement. However, your local VW dealership's parts dept. might be able to print the circular for you and show you the pics. Ask for accessory circular #024-08-06-UCF.
freeware pdf995edit will rip photos from pdf docs and send them to a printer port and allow a normal picture save ...just sayin
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:

Thanks for sharing the very cool information on the grill block. Even if it doesn't apply to me, it's greatly appreciated, and I'm sure the other VW owners here feel the same way.

Cheers,
Rick

Hellow there rick. I am also a VW parts guy, and can answer that one for you. On the 2.0L cars that grill was a dummy grill. All blocked off. On the 1.8T, and the 1.9TDI that grill is open becouse thats where the intercooler is. On the VR6 powerd cars, there is a aux radiator located there, so they also get a open grill. If you see one on a normal 2.0L powerd car, its just amatter of the orangle one having been replaced with the open one. They do fall out farly often.

s1120 is offline   Reply With Quote