Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #11
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1120 View Post
I am also a VW parts guy,...

The more the merrier! How long have you been in the biz, s1120?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #12
Registered Member

a little over 14 years now. Or some would say WAYYYYY to long!!!!

s1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #13
Registered Member

Hi, Paul; thanks for the input.

Quote:
On the 2.0L cars that grill was a dummy grill. All blocked off. If you see one on a normal 2.0L powerd car, its just amatter of the orangle one having been replaced with the open one. They do fall out farly often.
If you're referring to the one on the driver's side: Yes, it's a dummy, I'm aware of that and stated such in my question. I was asking about the passenger-side grill.

If you're talking about the one on the passenger side: No, sorry. It's definitely not a dummy grill, we're the original owners, and it's never been replaced.

Rick
Old 10-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #14
Registered Member

sorry I did not notice yours is a Cabrio. I assumed it was a Jetta sorry. Ya, they are all open on the right side on those and the Golfs. Why? I dont know. There is nothing over there at all, and as I said the jettas only had the open ones on the cars with eather a intercooler, or aux radiator over there.

s1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
sorry I did not notice yours is a Cabrio. I assumed it was a Jetta sorry.
No worries!

Quote:
Ya, they are all open... Why? I dont know. There is nothing over there at all, and as I said the jettas only had the open ones on the cars with eather a intercooler, or aux radiator over there.
I think I might try blocking off the center grill once it gets colder and see how everything does, then rig up some remote temperature sensors on e.g. the alternator, P/S pump, whatever might be on the passenger side of the engine compartment, and try blocking off the little grill. Between that and the coolant temp and intake air temp readings, I ought to be able to tell if anything squirrely is going on.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 10-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #16
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rae View Post
No worries!

I think I might try blocking off the center grill once it gets colder and see how everything does, then rig up some remote temperature sensors on e.g. the alternator, P/S pump, whatever might be on the passenger side of the engine compartment, and try blocking off the little grill. Between that and the coolant temp and intake air temp readings, I ought to be able to tell if anything squirrely is going on.

Thanks,
Rick
This would allow you in cabin monitoring. The lead is only 6ft long though. It might be possible to lengthen it. $12 at walmart.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #17
Registered Member

I have several different versions of those. I've used them over the years for checking temperature in aquariums, refrigerators/freezers, etc. They're handy to have around and yes, as long as they don't use tinsel wire for the leads (most don't), they can easily be extended a reasonable distance.

It's a good idea but I suspect the upper end of the range won't be sufficient under the hood. Most of mine top out a little above what you'd expect to encounter naturally with weather. (The range could likely be shifted with a resistor or two, but the numbers will need to be interpreted... though that's not a big deal.) Plus they tend to get very non-linear at the extremes (and would also with the range-shifting thing).

I think at engine-compartment temperatures a thermocouple-based sensor probably makes more sense (I have one of those too, I used to work in R&D ).

Rick
Old 10-19-2007, 05:33 AM   #18
Registered Member

I've installed an upper grille block on my 1996 Golf III (1.8 l, 75 hp engine, no A/C).

Aerodynamic effect: unknown (don't have a ScanGauge or similar). Somehow the car feels more stable (not as dodgy) at highway speeds. After a 1/2 tank at cool temperatures my F.E. seems to be about the same as at summer temperatures, which is good. I suspect that the most benefit is from faster engine warmup rather than improved aerodynamics.

Thermodynamic effect: engine heats up noticeably faster, but not dramatically. When the engine is warm the indicated temperature is maybe 1 degree more than before (91 C vs. 90 C). That's probably because the thermostat is at the bottom, which is getting cold air and therefore thinks it should increase the temperature a tad more than it really should.

The upper block is a plastic plate behind the grille (I loosened the 4 clips at the top, cut the plastic to size and slipped it behind, and attached it at the left and right ends with two tie wraps to the vertical slats. So the car looks totally stock from the outside.

Next steps: Partial below-bumper grille block, ideally with a BMW-like thermostatically-controlled opening mechanism.

BTW, on my car the lower right small grille opening is to let the noise from the horn out :-)
bearleener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearleener View Post
BTW, on my car the lower right small grille opening is to let the noise from the horn out :-)
Now that's a more logical explanation for the open grill.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:43 AM   #20
Registered Member

Here is the pic of the grill blocker from BC Canada

ArtFox is offline   Reply With Quote