VW owners...OE grill block for Mk4 Golf/Jetta - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
 
SL8Brick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 180
Country: United States
VW owners...OE grill block for Mk4 Golf/Jetta

Hi fellow VW drivers...

If you didn't already know, I've been a 'parts consultant' for VW/Audi for the past 17yrs. This new product is something that I just came across while browsing through the most recent parts circulars on VW's employee-only website. To the best of my knowledge, it has yet to be advertised in any VWoA consumer accessory literature....so consider it a GasSavers.org exclusive.

They're marketed as "Cold Weather Masks" and designed for Winter use on Mk4(1999.5>2005) Golf/Jetta TDi models in the interest of quickly achieving/maintaining warm cabin temps. I don't have any postable pics of these masks yet, but basically they cover about 80% of the upper center portion of the main grill(above the front bumper). They're custom-fit and the material is similar to the OE front end covers(aka:bra). According to the circular, they attach via Velcro-like fasteners. Installation/removal is supposed to be quick & simple.

Now, I'd like to stress that use of this particular product would be considered 'experimental' if used on non-TDi vehicles and/or if they're used during the non-Winter months or in areas that lack frigid Winter temps. And even though this is an OE accessory, there are potential warranty voiding implications if used outside of the parameters in which they were designed for. The common sense rules of grill block use & installations would apply here(ie: one eye on the temp gauge...one eye on the road).

VW part#s are as follows:
ZVW193899 - 1999-2006 Mk4 Golf(will fit GTI as well)
ZVW193898 - 1999.5-2005 Mk4 Jetta Sedan & Wagon

MSRP at time of posting is ~$30 per kit.

If your interested, feel free to contact your local VW parts dept. to order them. VW warehouses currently show ample stock of both kits.

Enjoy!!
__________________

__________________
1993 Volvo 240 Wagon - 323k miles (awaiting recommissioning)
1999 Audi A6 Avant Quattro - 149k miles(the NEW daily driver)
SL8Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
*shrug*
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,195
Country: United States
Very cool! Sock it to that guy whining about grill blocks...
__________________

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 290
Country: United States
Hate to be a bother, but is there any chance of you tracking down an Mk3 for me? I missed the cutoff by a year, as my TDi is a 98.

Otherwise I will have to shrinkwrap the frontend of my car with the stuff they use on boats. I figure that I won't have to do it often, what with the 10,000 mile oci that I am going to be using.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
 
trebuchet03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 812
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
I'd totally appreciate a picture if it's not too much trouble

I just so happen to have a MkIV Jetta

Does it cover the logo and conform to the hood notch too (something tells me no, but I'm curious ).
__________________
Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.


Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
 
SL8Brick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 180
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
Hate to be a bother, but is there any chance of you tracking down an Mk3 for me? I missed the cutoff by a year, as my TDi is a 98.
Sorry, Erdrick...VW is only offering them for Mk4s. If they come out with something for Mk3s(...or any other model for that matter), you'll be one of the first to read about it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03
I'd totally appreciate a picture if it's not too much trouble

I just so happen to have a MkIV Jetta

Does it cover the logo and conform to the hood notch too (something tells me no, but I'm curious ).
Unfortunately, the only photos currently available are in pdf form on VWoAs dealer website. I'd like to link the circular here, but I'm bound by VW's privacy agreement. However, your local VW dealership's parts dept. might be able to print the circular for you and show you the pics. Ask for accessory circular #024-08-06-UCF.

No, the mask does not cover the center emblem on the grill...but it does cover all of the grill slats to either side of it. The only open gaps are above & below the center slats. IMO, the mask for the Jetta looks much more appealing the the Golf mask.
__________________
1993 Volvo 240 Wagon - 323k miles (awaiting recommissioning)
1999 Audi A6 Avant Quattro - 149k miles(the NEW daily driver)
SL8Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
 
Rick Rae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 240
Country: United States
Well that lets me out, given the Cabrio's based on the Mk3.

I'd previously thought about buying a "bra" and lining the back of the screening to make a clean-looking and easily-removable grill block though, so it's nice to see the idea validated by none other than VW themselves.

For a temporary test, I'm currently using clear packing tape on the outside of the above-bumper grill vents. Only the slot that is part of the hood opening remains uncovered. Once it gets a little colder I plan to take some coroplast to the lower openings.

SL8Brick, maybe you can answer a question for me. Below the bumper there's a wide center grill with a smaller one to each side. The center one clearly feeds the radiator. The one on the driver's side is a fake -- it's blocked from the factory. Do you know what specific purpose the passenger-side grill serves? I can't tell if it's to cool something specific (e.g. alternator, power steering pump, whatever) or if it's supposed to be part of the air intake (doesn't seem likely based on placement) or what. I'd rather know exactly why it's there before I start mucking about with it.

Thanks for sharing the very cool information on the grill block. Even if it doesn't apply to me, it's greatly appreciated, and I'm sure the other VW owners here feel the same way.

Cheers,
Rick
__________________
Rick Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
 
SL8Brick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 180
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rae View Post
...so it's nice to see the idea validated by none other than VW themselves.
True, but VW isn't releasing these with improved fuel economy & aerodynamics in mind. They're designed to help warm up the tootsies of freezing TDi owners when the mercury drops in the Winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rae View Post
SL8Brick, maybe you can answer a question for me. Below the bumper there's a wide center grill with a smaller one to each side. The center one clearly feeds the radiator. The one on the driver's side is a fake -- it's blocked from the factory. Do you know what specific purpose the passenger-side grill serves? I can't tell if it's to cool something specific (e.g. alternator, power steering pump, whatever) or if it's supposed to be part of the air intake (doesn't seem likely based on placement) or what. I'd rather know exactly why it's there before I start mucking about with it.
Rick, I did inquire with our service dept. but I was unable to come up with an official answer. But if I had to guess, the answer might be "all of the above". I believe your air intake snorkel draws in air from behind the RH fender skirt. Although the location of the grill/intake duct does not equal a 'ram air' system, the open RH grill would allow cooler ambient air to that specific area. Also, those wacky German VWAG engineers have recently gone extra lengths to provide additional cooling to the alternator. Heck, the new Audi A8L has a water-cooled alternator. So I wouldn't be surprised if that was thier intention as well.

Another sidenote worth mentioning: The center lower grill in your bumper is identical to the Mk4 Golf/GTI. The 2002-03 337/20th Ann. edition GTIs came with a modified lower center grill with thinner slats to allow a cleaner flow of air to the radiator(VW part#1J0853677E B41). Something to keep in mind if you're planning on experimenting with an upper grill block.
__________________
1993 Volvo 240 Wagon - 323k miles (awaiting recommissioning)
1999 Audi A6 Avant Quattro - 149k miles(the NEW daily driver)
SL8Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
 
Rick Rae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 240
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL8Brick View Post
True, but VW isn't releasing these with improved fuel economy & aerodynamics in mind. They're designed to help warm up the tootsies of freezing TDi owners when the mercury drops in the Winter.
Understood.

Thanks for looking into that passenger-side grill for me. Sounds like I won't be messing with it, just to stay on the safe side.

Quote:
Another sidenote worth mentioning: The center lower grill in your bumper is identical to the Mk4 Golf/GTI. The 2002-03 337/20th Ann. edition GTIs came with a modified lower center grill with thinner slats to allow a cleaner flow of air to the radiator(VW part#1J0853677E B41). Something to keep in mind if you're planning on experimenting with an upper grill block.
Handy to know; thanks. And sans the slot just below the hood, the upper grill block is already in place, and has been for a couple of months now. No obvious effect on FE to date though, but I haven't done any coast-down tests or controlled/monitored high-speed driving yet, either.

Rick
__________________
Rick Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:40 PM   #9
...
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 425
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL8Brick View Post

Unfortunately, the only photos currently available are in pdf form on VWoAs dealer website. I'd like to link the circular here, but I'm bound by VW's privacy agreement. However, your local VW dealership's parts dept. might be able to print the circular for you and show you the pics. Ask for accessory circular #024-08-06-UCF.
freeware pdf995edit will rip photos from pdf docs and send them to a printer port and allow a normal picture save ...just sayin
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
 
s1120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 64
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rae View Post
.

SL8Brick, maybe you can answer a question for me. Below the bumper there's a wide center grill with a smaller one to each side. The center one clearly feeds the radiator. The one on the driver's side is a fake -- it's blocked from the factory. Do you know what specific purpose the passenger-side grill serves? I can't tell if it's to cool something specific (e.g. alternator, power steering pump, whatever) or if it's supposed to be part of the air intake (doesn't seem likely based on placement) or what. I'd rather know exactly why it's there before I start mucking about with it.

Thanks for sharing the very cool information on the grill block. Even if it doesn't apply to me, it's greatly appreciated, and I'm sure the other VW owners here feel the same way.

Cheers,
Rick

Hellow there rick. I am also a VW parts guy, and can answer that one for you. On the 2.0L cars that grill was a dummy grill. All blocked off. On the 1.8T, and the 1.9TDI that grill is open becouse thats where the intercooler is. On the VR6 powerd cars, there is a aux radiator located there, so they also get a open grill. If you see one on a normal 2.0L powerd car, its just amatter of the orangle one having been replaced with the open one. They do fall out farly often.
__________________

__________________
Paul B

s1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
View model averages? unicrombie Fuelly Web Support and Community News 4 11-09-2011 07:32 AM
super mid Hockey4mnhs General Fuel Topics 5 06-03-2007 01:57 PM
The VX for Sale XFi For Sale 12 04-15-2007 01:02 PM
Gas Log? GasSavers_Kraig General Discussion (Off-Topic) 3 08-16-2006 02:21 AM
Toyota Grand Prius krousdb Automotive News, Articles and Products 5 07-26-2006 03:44 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.