what more can I do? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcar View Post
. What I gotta do is change the rear end and tranny to synthetic fluids, if available. I know the rear end needs friction modifiers for the center pig.

NOTHING is above the frame line. You'd either have to move everything up or hang the belly pan on coat hangers.

One thing I don't understand is why Dodge put the gas tank on the same side as the driver. That weight distribution doesn't make sense.
Amsoil works real good - it did in my 3.9 any way .

The important part may be redirecting for a smooth flow of air - air deflectors ? near the low hanging stuff . Yes I hit my head on many of the parts you've mentioned working under mine! I fit without jacking the truck up . O'course I fit under the Focus without jacking it up too

Ya know I don't remember *what* side the filler was !? I'll take your word on that LOL

MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #12
Registered Member

Better with cruise off is not hard to believe. Many cruise controls are much more aggressive than our driving styles. Wifes Buick will actually cause a downshift when I don't want it. Flat land long and flat would probably be better with cruise. I'm guessing on the way to your cabin you have lots of hills. Your control is probably much smoother than your cruise. Even the cruise is built with performance in mind. I think the belly pan is a good idea. There has been some pretty amazing things done with them. Angle it at the back from the diff up to the bumper.

minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:44 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
I better get you all some video of the underside of a Dakota.

NOTHING is above the frame line. You'd either have to move everything up or hang the belly pan on coat hangers.
Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan
Stop complaining and build a belly pan. :-) Hang it off coat hangers if you must. I'm gonna have to do some sort of heroic measures on mine. The Element must have originally been designed without a gas tank at all. When they figured out the oversight, they just dangled it underneath. Looks like they devoted 15 whole minutes to the design.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:00 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan
Stop complaining and build a belly pan. :-) Hang it off coat hangers if you must. I'm gonna have to do some sort of heroic measures on mine. The Element must have originally been designed without a gas tank at all. When they figured out the oversight, they just dangled it underneath. Looks like they devoted 15 whole minutes to the design.
You know, I just had an idea. A belly pan! I'll grab some cardboard from work and mock one up tonight.

Proud owner of Stinkerbutt!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Air Raid cone filter, direct to TB
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
-Now featuring front wheel canards!
kitcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:49 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_BMac
Quote:
I measured the wheels today once I got the spare down. 14 inches wide, 6 lugs. 6 leafs on the rear springs. 9 inch limited slip. And I get 26 mpg off this crap. What I gotta do is change the rear end and tranny to synthetic fluids, if available. I know the rear end needs friction modifiers for the center pig.

One thing I don't understand is why Dodge put the gas tank on the same side as the driver. That weight distribution doesn't make sense.
My Dak has the same wheels til I changed them out to 7" wide rims. No mpg gain! Same as when I went to the BlackMagic150 electric fan, no mpg gains.
My Diff. is an 8-1/4" 3.55 posi that I had Mobil1 synthetic in til the last couple weeks when I went to Amsoil. Then it went out on me, hence the rebuild this week!
Mine has only 3 leafs and a helper/load leaf.

Time to do the mess around!
MSD 6TN,
MSD Blaster2 Coil,
MSD 8.5mm SuperConductor wires,
Borg-Warner cap & button
Halo plugs,
PCV jar
and more to come...
GasSavers_BMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:55 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_BMac
Quote:
And it's really not a parachute. It's more like big arse plastic coated steel anchor. The bumper stands off a good inch inch from the tailgate, the license plate frame has a one inch gap at the hitch point and the upper license plate frame also has a gap. Here's photos of the deal.
Hoe about taking off the plastic part of the rear bumper and drilling some 2 or 3" holes in there?
MSD 6TN,
MSD Blaster2 Coil,
MSD 8.5mm SuperConductor wires,
Borg-Warner cap & button
Halo plugs,
PCV jar
and more to come...
GasSavers_BMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMac View Post
Hoe about taking off the plastic part of the rear bumper and drilling some 2 or 3" holes in there?
If I'm not mistaken there's some holes in it already. I'll check that out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
Old 06-18-2007, 11:32 AM   #18

Quote:
MnFocus said: Belly pan it

Bill in Houston said: Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan Belly pan
Stop complaining and build a belly pan. :-) Hang it off coat hangers if you must.

You know, I just had an idea. A belly pan! I'll grab some cardboard from work and mock one up tonight.
Oive' ....So ! Have you considered a belly pan ?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
Oive' ....So ! Have you considered a belly pan ?
You know, Mn.....I hadn't thought of that. I have a trash can lid I strap across my stomach. What the heck good that's going to do get me better mileage I don't know. I'd think putting something under the truck would work better. But....I'll try anything once.

Of course it's way the heck too hot tonight to screw around with that and it's (of course) going to rain tomorrow so no cardboard fabrication tonight.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
Old 06-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #20

Quote:
. I have a trash can lid I strap across my stomach. What the heck good that's going to do get me better mileage I don't know. I'd think putting something under the truck would work better. But....I'll try anything once.

Of course it's way the heck too hot tonight to screw around with that and it's (of course) going to rain tomorrow so no cardboard fabrication tonight.
What good ? It makes really cool sparks when you belly surf on the freeway (not to mention provides some measure of abrasion resistance ! Lets not talk about the frying pan effect though 'k ? )

Now as far as a 'truck pan' ? Well that may affect the aerodynamics ! It may also provide a slight protective plate to prevent moose hair from sticking to some of those parts that hang so low that ...anyway ...

Take a break from the heat ,slap back some suds (the beer tally is important for the next step ) and plan out this new fangled 'truck pan' you've been trying so hard to explain