Wheel Skirts... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Well, dang, I'm impressed. If my head gasket is good, I am going to start thinking about some aero mods. First thing first is to get the fender ding fixed.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #12
Registered Member

I believe it, it is hard to know for sure if the improvement was 2mpg because there are so many variables, but it seems it has consistently netted a gain in FE. VW uses wheel skirts on their 1 liter concept so they must be worth something...

I enjoy seeing your aero mods and look forward to what you have planned. It is great that you put some old metal to good use. You will definitely reach your goal of 50 mpg.

Kohote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #13
Registered Member

Results will vary....

I am confused. I am not saying they work on every car, mine showed a mileage improvement. I do not have a scan gauge on my car or I would put that info here also. My car doesn't have the OBD terminal needed to hook up to that gauge. Over at ecommoder.com they are working on a gauge that will hook up to cars that do not have the OBD. When they get it all figured out I will have a mpg computer on my car.

I drove this car everyday to work for three months before any mods were done. I was checking mpg every fill up. The mpg was 27-29. Since the fender skirt mod the mpg increased to 30-33. Route, traffic and weather conditions, and time of day were all the same. No changes were made to the mechanical conditions, no tune ups etc. No headlights were used it was all daytime driving. Headlight mod was done a month and a half afterward.

They work on my car. If they didn't they wouldn't be on there, they would just be added weight. Actually I didn't think I would see any noticeable improvement either. Basically this was a weekend mod to see if it would work. Another added bonus is that the road noise got quieter. Less turbulence in the wheel well, less noise.

The 87 Accord has its aerodynamic problem areas, the rear wheel well being one of them. The front of the rear tire sticks out from the front of the wheel well. It is not inside the wheel well. Most newer cars may not have the same results, the tires fit entirely inside the wheel well and fair with the sides of the car.

Results will vary with any mod on any given vehicle. What works on yours may not work on mine. Some of these mods will sometimes even make things worse.

I have many mods planned for my car. I will post the ones that show no improvement along with the ones that do. But I am not going to holler "BS!" when something posted on this site or any other doesn't work for me. If it works for you great, if it doesn't, sorry you wasted your time.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:02 AM   #14

I lost an appreciable amount of mpgs on my CRX with fender skirts. This was determined after several a-b-a tests. But, there are always those who won't believe anything short of a full NASA test schedule.

If several a-b-a tests were listed it would go a long way towards making it a better thread.
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:06 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
You quoted my message in your post, which makes me think you've been offended by my disbelief. If so, I apologize; I try to keep my own posts welcoming and constructive.

I didn't get to a point where I would [constructively] criticize, because I was still asking for information. Again, I hope I did not come across as unduly critical.

This IS a place to look for ideas, receive and offer advice; at least, it has mostly seemed that way for the time I've been here. Most people have been very nice and helpful, occasionally someone gets rubbed the wrong way, and occasionally someone is just a jerk -- that's the nature of online forums.

It's hard to argue the data you've presented, now that you've described it better. I still find it hard to believe that Honda designed the car so badly that wheel skirts could add 2mpg, even back in 1987, but I suppose it's possible.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #16

again I will point to the wheels as the reason the skirts gained so much I think you will see another increase if you went with a wheel that more resembles a flat disk than a propeller. the work you have done to this car is nothing short of impressive and I look forward to seeing what else you have in store for it.
Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #17
Registered Member

Okay enough...lets get to the reason we are here...

We are here to share whatever knowledge, mods or ideas we have. Thanks for all the input both positive or negative.

Anyway philip1 you are probably right about the wheels, they were on the car when it was given to me. I will probably do something in this area as well. I do plan on front skirts or gap filler of some sort.

Sorry to say I don't have time for a b a testing. I do plan on getting some type of mpg computer. Then maybe the data will be better.

Time to do more mods my favorite lowest price gas station (where I buy all my gas) went to $4.09 today.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
for what it's worth, I like the wheel skirts and think they would be affective in gaining FE. There may be small improvements in overall mileage but a little here and a little more there adds up.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:22 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateful View Post
for what it's worth, I like the wheel skirts and think they would be affective in gaining FE. There may be small improvements in overall mileage but a little here and a little more there adds up.
I think I would gain more by making fairings in front of the rear fender skirts to help smooth the airflow around them.

Also I am looking at Camaro or Firebird outside mirrors because they are smaller than most other mirrors. I do like to use my outside mirrors and would also like to retain the electric adjustment option.

Like what you have done to your car. The front air dam is certainly bold. Bet you get some crazy comments on that one.

I get people asking me "how are you going to change a tire?" I leave them scratching their heads with "I have airless tires!"
Old 08-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #20
Registered Member

Well, that's entertaining to read. I personally believe the 2MPGs, just because aero stuff is weirding me, too many parameters. So what's the driving habbits? Mostly highway, right?

I'm actually interrested as HW is where I want to do aero mods. Maybe I should investigate some moon hubcap hack over my nice alloy wheels. Dunno if I want rear covers nor how to do these.

sonyhome is offline   Reply With Quote