Where do you aim your mirror? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Where do you aim your mirror?

I have noticed many people aim thier side mirrors to look behind them. I don't know why. Thats that the center rearview mirror is for. I have always used my side mirrors for sideways/ behind, and Ideally it would eliminate the blind spot. Why don't they go in side the car near the A pillar?? they would be right there easy to adjust, and stay clean, and best of all be more areodynamic. There is a way to remove it but still have side morrors.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:13 AM   #2
Tuggin at the surly bonds

http://www.gassavers.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=132
and
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=2519

Old 03-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
check your state, alot of states only require that you have two mirrors, and don't speculate where exactly they are, but a few minutes looking up state statuts should tell you.

as for where they are pointed, I agree, to adjust mine, I sit upright, and lean over twards the door a bit, then adjust it so the side of the car is just out of view, when I'm sitting upright, this gives me a near perfect view of what is to the side of my car, then as someone is passing you watch them go from being in view of the rear view mirror, to being in view of the side view, to being where you can see them out of the corner of your eye thru the window, no blind spot at all.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
Supporting Member

caprice -

I use big fisheyes on left and right side mirrors :

I don't use the interior fisheye anymore, that was an experiment.

The only thing you have to get used to is the *very* small size of the cars in the fisheyes. If you can recognize the car, then it is too close for changing lanes.

Overall, I make it so that I can always see the side of my car in the mirror, maybe 10-20% of the total flat part of my mirror is devoted to that. That gives me a point of reference. I also try to look over my shoulder when I want to change lanes.

But, with the fisheyes, there is no such thing as a blind spot.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
Registered Member

I use a 2" fisheye mirror on the interior, top side of both of my outside mirrors. I aim the outside mirrrors down the side of the car, just so I can barely see the edge of my car.

This allows me to see if someone is coming up on either side of me. The fisheye mirror makes it so I can see if anyone is next to me, even if they are creaping up on me, so that they aren't quite far enough forward for me to see with my peripheral vision and I can't quite see them in the mirror without jinking my neck around.

I've used the fisheye's since I got very used to them saving me from some costly mistakes when I drove a truck on the freeways of LA. They have saved me from some potential conflicts over the use of space.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
as for where they are pointed, I agree, to adjust mine, I sit upright, and lean over twards the door a bit, then adjust it so the side of the car is just out of view, when I'm sitting upright, this gives me a near perfect view of what is to the side of my car, then as someone is passing you watch them go from being in view of the rear view mirror, to being in view of the side view, to being where you can see them out of the corner of your eye thru the window, no blind spot at all.
That how I have set up mine as well. Cover 99% of your blind spots
Old 03-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
Registered Member

My passengerside is useless.... I have it adjusted out as far as it will go and 1/2 of my mirror is still pointed towards the side of the truck!

I really wished I could see the back tire. My driveway is very narrow. When I back out I have to hang my head out the window to insure I don't back into the ditch!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
Registered Member

Put a 2" fisheye on it, like I described. Then you can look in the fisheye and see the edge of the driveway. Works great for seeing the white lines by the side of the car when your parking and those types of things.

Is the right side mirror a manual, or an electric? It sounds like it might be electric, but someone forced the mirror and it jumped the teeth and is farther in than it's supposed to be. If that is the case, you can just push on the outside edge of the mirror, to push the whole thing back out. They have nylon gears, so this can happen a number of times, without really ruining anything, or at least I haven't ruined any of mine, by doing this.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
i set up my mirrors so that if there is someone behind me, no matter where they are, i will see their headlights in only 1 mirror. this is also useful since my car is 4 inches off the ground and any truck or suv's headlights really become a niusance. i am strongly considering interior mirror conversion... i dont drive fast enough any more to justify it though...
Old 03-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
Registered Member

I used my brothers car to help me set both. i set his car so i couldn't see in rear view mirrow and then adjusted side mirrors so i could see it.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote