Window vents? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

Window vents?

Is there an official GasSaver position on window vents (plastic things that go over side windows)? I've seriously cut back on using the air conditioner <sound of back patting>. I leave windows open under 40, close (or almost close) above 40. Today was in low 90*s. Does the vent increase drag vs. close window? Is an open vented window a compromise between air conditioning and a plain open window?

lowbridescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I suspect that they generally don't help, but mine doesn't seem to be hurting much. It does cause some small vortices which are visible on my window when it rains.

They're called ventvisors, and your subject line made me think of this:

I love those and wish they were still around, even though they're ugly, they just feel so nice.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I suspect that they generally don't help, but mine doesn't seem to be hurting much. It does cause some small vortices which are visible on my window when it rains.

I love those and wish they were still around, even though they're ugly, they just feel so nice.
I have those triangular vent windows on Rusty, and he also sports chrome ventshades over the regular windows. I opened the vent windows once, then they whistled and squeaked so much afterwards. I had to spend an entire afternoon playing with those windows to get them shut so they were quiet again. That was about about 10 years ago, and I have not opened them again since. Rusty has A/C - no need to open those squeaky little windows.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

I dig those windows too. I actually had power vent windows on the Lincolns. My favorite part of that car, well second to the seats. I want to stick some Lincoln seats in the Merc.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Registered Member

Heh, one of my college buddies had a 300D of about that vintage and the seats were like those you find on public transport... very durable... but luxurious? .. not so much.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

I agree, they'll last as long as thre rest of the car, but I wish they wuoldn't so I would have a good excuse to remove them haha.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post

Looks like someone tried to break into that car...

I remember many a summer day in my Corvair, turning those vent windows so they would blow back on me...they may have even saved my mother's life once....

We were moving to a new home about 20 miles away from our old place. My mother had a mattress and some other items loaded into the back of a Corvair station wagon. Since these items were too large for the back of the car, the hatch was pushed down as far as possible, and tied with a rope. It was a cold day, so the windows were up. About half way to the new house, she started feeling sick. She wound up turning those vent windows at her to force some air in her face, reviving her enough to make it to our new house. When my dad came home that evening, she told him the story, and wondered why she had been feeling sick. He laughed and said that the back end of the car created a vacuum and was pulling the exhaust right into the car, and she had been getting CO poisoning. And that she did just the right thing by turning those windows back on herself. And he added that next time, either leave items too long to fit for the moving van, or to leave the hatchback all the way open.

Thus was my first lesson in automotive aerodynamics.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:09 AM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
Looks like someone tried to break into that car...

I remember many a summer day in my Corvair, turning those vent windows so they would blow back on me...they may have even saved my mother's life once....

We were moving to a new home about 20 miles away from our old place. My mother had a mattress and some other items loaded into the back of a Corvair station wagon. Since these items were too large for the back of the car, the hatch was pushed down as far as possible, and tied with a rope. It was a cold day, so the windows were up. About half way to the new house, she started feeling sick. She wound up turning those vent windows at her to force some air in her face, reviving her enough to make it to our new house. When my dad came home that evening, she told him the story, and wondered why she had been feeling sick. He laughed and said that the back end of the car created a vacuum and was pulling the exhaust right into the car, and she had been getting CO2 poisoning. And that she did just the right thing by turning those windows back on herself. And he added that next time, either leave items too long to fit for the moving van, or to leave the hatchback all the way open.

Thus was my first lesson in automotive aerodynamics.
I remember as a kid my father would drive our old 1980 Pontiac stationwagon on the off road trails at the beach. There were signs saying 4wd vehicles only, but we never got stuck. We would always ask him to roll down the rear window, but he would never allow that car to move with the rear window even cracked. The person riding in the "way back" was always sweating it.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
Registered Member

I still use them on occassion. I still have my 96 F250...

Old 07-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99metro View Post
I still use them on occassion. I still have my 96 F250...

that should help you more with those mirror's

COMP is offline   Reply With Quote