Window Visors- what the heck are these things for? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

Window Visors- what the heck are these things for?

My Accord (now dubbed Agent Argent by my daughter) came with window visors installed. What the heck are these things for? I've seen them for years but I've never had them on a car. Do they do anything other than making the drivers side a-pillar blind spot bigger?

They don't seem like a brilliant idea aerodynamically, they just seem to botch up the flow right at the beginning of the window. I figure there must be reason for them.

"If you want to save gas I suggest you permanently remove the drivers seat and steering wheel. That seems to help." -Oscar Halverson

oneinchsidehop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

Let you crack the window a little bit without so much wind noise.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

also you can crack the window in the rain too without all of it coming in on you.

helps with fogged up windshields on cold rainy days.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Some cars have no rain gutter of any sort. If you crack the window on a nice morning when there's dew on your roof (or during rain), it all pools up and pours in onto your electric window switch and your lap.

The visor allows you to crack the window without that happening. Light rain dropping in through the window is not a problem, but pooled up roof rain is a whole other story.

I think some people install them as aesthetic upgrades. Most vehicles do not look nicer with them.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

I have the chrome visors on Rusty, and the plastic ones on The Beast. The Big White Hooptie cannot have them as it has frameless windows, and there is nothing to attach the visors to.

As others have mentioned it allows the windows to be left cracked open without rain coming in. I use it mostly so the vehicle does not get excessively hot in the summer, as there is some air flowing through the vehicle.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Registered Member

Well, I agree with the Holy Cow, I'm not crazy about the way they look. But I guess they may be worth leaving on from the sounds of it. I'm not sure I could take them off without breaking them, and I'm definitely not sure how I would put them back on if I wanted to.

I guess I have bigger fish to fry, i.e. a ScanGauge, grill block and injector cut switch. And tires that don't leak.

...and I have a LOT to learn about urban hypermiling.

"If you want to save gas I suggest you permanently remove the drivers seat and steering wheel. That seems to help." -Oscar Halverson

Old 02-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
One of the problems with my xB is the very vertical door design. Many in owners have the same plastic ugly visors like that on the windows. In my xB if you have the window open in front and use the windshield washer the water comes right in the window and drips on you and the power window buttons which also get rained on when you open the door since there is no real overhang and the armrest is not recessed into the door panel. I imagine that insects and spiders like to hang out under there too.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
I imagine that insects and spiders like to hang out under there too.

mmmm... road snacks!!!

Old 02-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Registered Member

I made "slim" window visors for the MX-3 comunity (about 200 sets). You could barely tell they are there on a black car. They are flush with the A pillar, and the top of the door. The work as stated, and in most people's opinoin, look pretty cool. They don't affect gas mileage at all, and may improve it, since you can have your window cracked on a hot day on the freeway, and not have turbulence. Her's some pics: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic...visors#p518185

They were relatively easy to make.
fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
Site Team / Moderator

ONe thing I noticed today, was that after driving around salted roads for weeks now, my side windows are just about the only part of the truck not covered in salt. Those window deflectors must be somehow protecting them.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote