Another GM brand bites the dust (next week) - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Circa 7 years ago some GM (Pontiac Bonneville V-6) and Ford (Mustang GT V-8) engines had issues with coolant leaks from the coolant ports of their plastic intake manifolds (the plastic would flex and leak coolant into the engine or externally. The GM mechanic admitted that the OEM intakes were only good for about 70K miles (My dad replaced it twice after it leaked in the same spot both times at about 70K miles each time).
this problem w/ the GM V6s most certainly cost them dearly in reliability rating. i believe w/out that issue, they would be on par w/ toyota and honda. i've had several and they are absolutely fantastic except for the intake issue.

if only they made their entire line of vehicles this way they might not ever have needed a bailout...

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #22
Site Team / Moderator

I assume you're talking about the 3.8 V-6, it seems GM has been putting that in everything for the past 20 years. The engine did take some evolutions to become the engine it is today. I remember on my Buick I used to have oil pressure problems. New oil pump, and still had pressure problems. When I was replacing the engine I researched various upgrades to the engine. I found that the oil pump was redesigned for the 1987 Grand National. So when I had ordered a new engine for the car I specified that I wanted the 1987 oil pump put in the car. Haven't had any pressure problems since.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #23
Registered Member

yes, but the others as well--3.1, 3.4, 3.5, even the 4.3 in monte carlos and their small trucks/SUVs was great. it has been a while since i drove a 2.8, and i've never driven a 3.3 (other than a short test drive).

you could be correct that the 3.8 had the most issues concerning the intake however.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote