BMW Beats Prius in mpg test run - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #11
Registered Member

To add to the story. In my area gas today is 3.10 and diesel is over 4. when comparing gas vs diesel we need to look at miles per dollar not MPG to fairly compare the two.

Silver00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #12
Registered Member

i think all subarus are pzev now.

GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:03 AM   #13
Team GasMisers5!

What kind of re-gen braking does that BMW have? What does it power? (just the battery?)

It also looks like that BMW has some aero-features e.g. the wing mirrors are smaller and have some airflow by the window where airflow will be high!

I have to admit, I got 90MPG (UK) in a Toyota Avensis 2.2 Diesel Turbo, on a round-trip 200 mile run, so 2.0 diesels can be efficient).

I bet, if they raced that Prius, they could have had the battery drained, the engine running 'enriched' a lot of the time, so the BMW would be running more efficiently.

By the way, the PRIUS WON the competition anyway Because the calorific (therefore CO2 output) value of diesel is much higher than petrol anyway. So that BMW put out more CO2/mile than the Prius did!

Edit - I see that the energy content of diesel has already been discussed.

Also found this :

GUYS its all about how LOW mpg if i could afford it i would armor plate an H1 hummer so that it got 2mpg instead of the 8 it gets. all you "greenies" and your wannabe fake attitude about caring about the environment and buying a crappy prius so that you can not feel guilty about yourselfs for all the waste that really matters. how many of you special people recycle all your empties, cans, milk jugs, paper, etc. think of all the stuff you throw away that doesnt biodegrade easily. so if you "greenies" actually think your doing the world a favor by buying an "enivornmentally safe" car needs to really think of how much of a "big deal" your making

By 'Tim The Man'....

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:13 AM   #14
Registered Member

Update to my post yesterday. Gas here is $3.03 gal and diesel $4.19 gal. If you bought $4.19 worth of gas and put it into that [severly underated or poorly driven] Prius you could go approximately 55.4 miles.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:10 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
i think all subarus are pzev now.
There are several cars that are PZEV, the Focus is(or maybe was) one, but they tend to be only available in CARB states. PZEV might actually be a CARB only rating.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #16
Registered Member

diesel has 13% more energy per gallon(maybe it's 11%) so it didn't really beat it in terms of energy used per mile :P
white90crxhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:21 PM   #17
Registered Member

Energy used per mile means very little to me and it should'nt to anyone else when comparing the two.

All I know is that if I spend $4.19 of my hard earned money on "Fuel" I could go 55 miles in the Prius (or my 2000 Civic which gets 40 mpg) and the diesel would go 41.9 miles.