Change a Light, Change the World - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

Change a Light, Change the World

How Many Light Bulbs Does It Take to Protect the Environment and Save $30?

I've replaced several bulbs in the house and it's a lot cooler. For example, instead of sitting under 5, 60-Watt bulbs to eat dinner (300-Watts of Heat that always baked yours truly and not the meatloaf) -- there are now 6 Energy Star fluorescent Type-A, screw-in bulbs. They install just like any bulb.

RH77's Dining Room Light

The trick is to update them over time as they are more expensive than traditional bulbs, BUT they last longer and use less energy.

RH77

Old 10-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
How Many Light Bulbs Does It Take to Protect the Environment and Save $30?

I've replaced several bulbs in the house and it's a lot cooler. For example, instead of sitting under 5, 60-Watt bulbs to eat dinner (300-Watts of Heat that always baked yours truly and not the meatloaf) -- there are now 6 Energy Star fluorescent Type-A, screw-in bulbs. They install just like any bulb.

RH77's Dining Room Light

The trick is to update them over time as they are more expensive than traditional bulbs, BUT they last longer and use less energy.

RH77
Yes I did this about 6 months ago when they had a big sale on at Lowes. Let me tell ya I was amazed at who may lights there are in my house. I had a trash bag full of old lights that I gave away.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:22 AM   #3
Registered Member

What to do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
Yes I did this about 6 months ago when they had a big sale on at Lowes. Let me tell ya I was amazed at who may lights there are in my house. I had a trash bag full of old lights that I gave away.
I have a similar problem -- a pile of them under the sink (I haven't replaced them all YET). So the question is, do you give them away? That way they're going to suck energy somewhere else. Can they be recycled? Secondly, glass takes a lot of energy to produce. That's where I'm stuck.

RH77
Old 10-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
I have a similar problem -- a pile of them under the sink (I haven't replaced them all YET). So the question is, do you give them away? That way they're going to suck energy somewhere else. Can they be recycled? Secondly, glass takes a lot of energy to produce. That's where I'm stuck.

RH77
I gave them away to someone less fortunate then I. They will never buy the CFL so might as well let them use them till there used up. It will keep them from buying new one for a while.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thinking that...

I was thinking that someone who can't afford E-star could use them. So Z, did you give them to someone you know, or the Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc. The power company should collect them and give them away to the less fortunate, but they don't (yet).

RH77
Old 10-04-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
Driving on E

A bought a load of these over 2 years ago when they were on sale at Costco. I think they were like $2 for an 8 pack (I kid you not).

I moved them with me when i moved from California to Salt Lake City. Every light in our house is one of these bulbs, except for the bathroom, the dining room, and one of the rooms in the basment.

These bulbs just last a really long time, and I'm positive my energy bill is lower as a result.

A friend of mine just switched all of hte lights in his rental units to these bulbs and his electric bill dropped to 1/3 of what it was before. The bulbs paid for themselves in one month.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
Registered Member

We've also changed many of ours.

But... is it going to be the LP/cassette/CD/MP3 thing all over again?

Just when we finish switching to CF bulbs, will high lumen LED's be available which put even these to shame, energy wise?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #8
Registered Member

You forgot the 8-track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
We've also changed many of ours.

But... is it going to be the LP/cassette/CD/MP3 thing all over again?

Just when we finish switching to CF bulbs, will high lumen LED's be available which put even these to shame, energy wise?
I think the change in energy consumption with respect to our fragile electrical grid and non-renewable resources need attention quickly. There will always be an improvement over the course. I'm not all that disappointed that I can't play Kenny Rogers on the 8-track anymore

RH77
Got to know when to hold 'em, when to fold 'em...
Old 10-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
Registered Member

I picked up some of those. the package claimed they were good replacements for 60 watt bulbs, and they only were 13 watt bulbs. after installing, they're not quite as bright as a regular 60 watt, but even if you use two bulbs together to get more light than your 60 watt, you're still only using 26 watts. the savings add up when that electric bill shows up
crazymechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymechanic
I picked up some of those. the package claimed they were good replacements for 60 watt bulbs, and they only were 13 watt bulbs. after installing, they're not quite as bright as a regular 60 watt, but even if you use two bulbs together to get more light than your 60 watt, you're still only using 26 watts. the savings add up when that electric bill shows up
I picked up some more at Costco this weekend -- a little at a time makes a big difference.

RH77