Diesels being blamed for air pollution - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Diesels being blamed for air pollution

I see by this article - http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30381223 - that Europe is now reaping what it has sown. Diesels are being blamed for NOx pollution and particulate pollution. I guess France and the UK, at least, should have been more careful what they wished for.

Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Registered Member

What would you drive if your car cost $800 a year pollution tax and fuel was $10 a gallon?

This is the government's fault for blaming it's own people for pollution, and coming up with excuses like carbon dioxide tax and high fuel prices. With tax being up to $800 a year for big engines, and fuel over $10 a gallon, low carbon emitting highly economical diesel cars are the most appealing here, and car manufactures have responded to the market by developing them and producing them.

Now we've all realised the benefits of diesels, it's going to be near impossible to get people to switch back. We are addicted to diesels the same as the US is addicted to oil. It's no more shocking than the levels of C02 in the US.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Europeans (I keep it so general because I don't know specifically who more than anyone else was doing it) were incentivizing people to buy diesel cars. Now they want to penalize you for having what they encouraged you to buy?! That's a head shaker for me.
Jcp385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:12 AM   #4
Registered Member

No doubt the various governments in their infinite wisdom will just add another tier of taxation based on NOx production, and make it just as onerous as the CO2 tax. Say "Hello" to catalytic converters and urea injection like we have here in the USA.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

Euro6 isn't as restrictive as US regulations on NOx, but it is a low limit. The problem is with all the older cars on the road. Even in the US, the majority of pollution from private cars is from the oldest ones on the road. RFG is required in areas partially because there was still carburated cars on the road at the time.

Europe will need to get the old diesels off the road. The UK is considering a 5000pound credit for switching a diesel to an EV.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:26 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
No doubt the various governments in their infinite wisdom will just add another tier of taxation based on NOx production, and make it just as onerous as the CO2 tax. Say "Hello" to catalytic converters and urea injection like we have here in the USA.
Catalytic converters? Yet more 30 years out of date info from Charon. You'll be telling us to use lead free fuel next...

There's already a £5000 government grant for electric cars, but car manufactures simply add it on the list price anyway. And with battery lease at around £40 a month, a diesel car is still far cheaper to run. Hybrids seem to make more sense and there lots on the market currently, trouble is they, like diesels in the US are often made by presteige car makes and there fore carry a huge purchase premium. Even the normal stuff like the Prius etc is still expensive compared to a diesel, and most of them have auto only boxes which are hated by most Europeans. Diesels are cheap to buy and run , they create one problem, but are the solution to many many others.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
Registered Member

Actually, cats have been in use since 1975, forty years, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter. They have been used on diesels for less than ten. I don't mind being accused of being out of date, provided the accusation is accurate.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Registered Member

The way you said it made it sound as if they should introduce somthing thats already been introduced. Every car since 1993 (the year before my girlfriend was even born!) in the EU has had a cat, so sorry, you were 21 years out, not 30...

One thing to remember is that this problem is only a problem in high concentrated areas of traffic such as cities etc, where the speed is low and the heavy particles get trapped amongst the traffic and buildings etc. On the open road where diesels sip fuel, and the particles can blow away and disperse with ease is where diesels should be used really.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Registered Member

US diesels had a two-way diesel oxidation catalyst for nearly as long as Europe's did.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote